You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[By Design] 1.7.118 - Bug: Fill layer makes adjustments of layers in group ignored

Hi,

Bug description:

Fill layer above all other layers in group makes their adjustments ignored. Doesn't depend on color depth or Metal acceleration.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open any RGB image.
2. Add White balance layer.
3. Set White balance "-100%"
3. Create a Group a with White balance inside.
4. Add Fill layer in to Group and above White balance layer.
5. Disable Fill layer

Expected behavior: Fill layer isn't visible and White balance applied.

Current behavior: Fill layer isn't visible, but White balance adjustment ignored.

You can add  any number of layers with adjustments in group below Fill layer and their adjustments will be ignored until Fill layer in this group.

Note: this bug is reproducible in 1.6.11 as well

41 minutes ago, stunpix said:

Expected behavior: Fill layer isn't visible and White balance applied.

The white balance layer is applied to what ever is in the group. When there is nothing in the group the white balance should not affect anything, so it is a bug but I think you have it backwards.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

19 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

The white balance layer is applied to what ever is in the group.

Why do you think so? When white balance layer in group, why it shouldn’t be applied to background layer image? What the sense? Group is just for grouping (until it is passthrough). The main problem is that adding disabled Fill layer on top of group affects any number of other layers in group. This is a bug of Fill layer as for me.

There is something wrong with the behaviour of Groups with live filters and adjustment layers, I just haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what yet. Try with some filters inside a group and you may get very unexpected results.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

3 hours ago, stunpix said:

This is a bug of Fill layer as for me.

I wonder if you are on Mac and using Metal, I get extremely odd results with that combination.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Our developers came back to me and this behaviour is expected. Adjustment layers inside a group only apply to the layers inside that group. The only exception is if the adjustment layers are on their own, with no pixel/shape layers inside the group. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.