You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document Path to external drive between Windows / Mac

Hello
I have some minor issues regarding the document paths of ressources. I have all my files on an external drive and all images are linked on it.

I created a file on a os x and recently switched to windows. When opening the file all resources are missing. The reason is obviously the path directory.
On mac the external drive is linked as "Volume/volumename/..." on Windows it looks like this "D:\..."

1. Is there a way to change this without relinking every single image?
2. Does this mean Windows users and Mac users arent able to work together on one file, when working on external drives or a network?

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

When names for the drives are different, what should be the solution? But if you open your document and you get the message "Missing Resource(s) Some of your ..." you can browse to the  file, once picked up, all other files will be re-linked automatically.

Bad news: Publisher won't tell which file first to pick. I guess it is the first resource ever placed in the document? I don't know. The title of the (first) file in the popup window for browsing the files would be handy / essential.

Added: Yes, seems to be that you have to pick the first ever placed file in the document - could be difficult. If you pick up the wrong file the Missing Resource warning pops up again.

Edited by Joachim_L
Added information

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Well, a solution could be relative file paths.

I mean it is the same drive. Shouldn’t it be possible to work on an external drive and using the project in a team?

So what would be the workaround when working with a network with windows and mac os? Is this possible? I am also testing AP for my office and we are using mac and windows. And this would be a No to AP, I guess.

Also I agree replacing on the request is difficult without a title and doesn't seem to work for me. It is just replacing one file and asks for the next one.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

Yes, relative file paths could help, but only when the linked files are in the same directory as the main file, or in a subdirectory of the main file's directory.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

25 minutes ago, ivbera said:

Also I agree replacing on the request is difficult without a title and doesn't seem to work for me. It is just replacing one file and asks for the next one.

That is because you selected the wrong one. Make a test with e.g. three images and remember the first placed. This is the one you have to select.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

That is because you selected the wrong one. Make a test with e.g. three images and remember the first placed. This is the one you have to select. 

works for the test file. unfortunatly, i think this is no workaround at all. there is no way i can remember which file I placed first.

Also I noticed:
When you replace a file with a wrong file on the first "missing file demand" and cancel on the next one, the resource manager tells you, that the picture is "modified". so I guess this would be the file in need. When retry it again, it replaces the file, but doesnt find the others.

I think this still needs time, but I am sad to see windows and mac users can't work together without any hustle. I still need to test it on a network basis.
Also I am interessted in an "official" statement regarding this topic. Is compatiblity mentioned anywhere?

--

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, relative file paths could help, but only when the linked files are in the same directory as the main file, or in a subdirectory of the main file's directory.

I think this would help a lot and solve many problems.

Is it correct that embedding the files is the only way to work between several computers?

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

InDesign will do this - with all the missing links selected in the Links panel, click the Link button which brings up the dialog box to find them. Find the first missing link and select it. InDesign then looks in that entire folder and if it finds the rest of them it fixes all the links for you automatically.

I don't know how Publisher works as I haven't encountered this issue yet, but InDesign's way would be the way to go. Of course, this assumes that you keep all the links for that one project in the same directory, which is how I usually do it.

Yes, I know that indesign will do this. also every other program that uses referenced files like CADs.
This is why i am quiet disappointed, that this feature is not yet included or is not even to be considered, when reading through the topics about file-linking and embedding.

I could even imagine to manually changing the path directory by some sort of text input,
when the only thing that was changed is the drive-name from "volumename" to "d:", instead of searching every single file.

I hope file-management and platform compatibilty will be tackled in the future.

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

5 hours ago, ivbera said:

Yes, I know that indesign will do this. also every other program that uses referenced files like CADs.
This is why i am quiet disappointed, that this feature is not yet included or is not even to be considered, when reading through the topics about file-linking and embedding.

I could even imagine to manually changing the path directory by some sort of text input,
when the only thing that was changed is the drive-name from "volumename" to "d:", instead of searching every single file.

I hope file-management and platform compatibilty will be tackled in the future.

I'm sure they will be :)