You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo - Remove the View Tool Hand

Again - I am determined to remove Adobe from my hard drive as soon as possible - so I'm getting all my questions out of my system today. 

I Can't Stand the Hand View Tool. I hate it.  Clearly I have very strong negative feelings toward that tool! lol  As you can see I removed it from the options on the left, but EVERY TIME I open a new document that stupid hand loads as the active tool automatically and not the Move tool. 

PLEASE how do I get the Move Tool - the pointy one, to load as the active tool automatically every time I open a new document? 

Thank you. 

1960651739_RemoveHand.thumb.jpg.e90fe3d6a6610c5eabc974c8a471b50e.jpg

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher | Super Power: ADHD | Instagram - Twitter | Code: HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Node, Lua, Kodular,  Stencyl & Unreal

• Staff

Hi Edee,

There is no way to change the default tool selected when opening the app I'm afraid. I recommend making a post regarding this in the Feature Requests section. 

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

5 minutes ago, haakoo said:

The pointer should be the base tool in the first place

I think so too, or at least there should be a preference for that.

6 minutes ago, haakoo said:

And why do they call it the viewtool as it moves the document?
And why do they call the pointer a movetool while it selects?

They call it the View Tool because it moves the view, not anything in the work. The Move Tool moves selected stuff in the work (control handles, translations, rotations, etc.).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Actually it pans the document so it should be called the pan tool

The View Tool pans the View. ;)

But we agree it should default to the movetool and I think they should rename this to selectiontool

I think they called it the Move Tool because it’s used for moving objects and their adjustment handles. The Node Tool is also a selection tool.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, haakoo said:

Actually it pans the document so it should be called the pan tool

Technically, "pan" in this sense means to swing the view around the horizontal or vertical plane, like with a camera on a tripod. What the tool actually does is translate the view along the horizontal or vertical plane, like with dollying a camera.

So maybe it should be called the Dolly Tool? :S

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The more you think about the tool naming conventions the less sense it makes, not just for Affinity but for Adobe & others as well.

The silliest tool name by far is the "Magic Wand Tool," which has no magical powers. A few apps & a lot of users call the View Tool the "Hand Tool," but that is the generic name for hand powered tools, so in a sense all the tools are hand tools. The Zoom & Move tools are named for the action they perform but the Node Tool is named for what it interacts with, & the Node & several other tools can perform moves when positioned appropriately on the canvas. The Zoom & View tools only differ in which planes of the view they affect, so both are really document view tools. Users & staff both often refer to the "smart shape" tools but they have no intelligence.

It is all somewhat arbitrary, based on a variety of different metaphors, analogs to physical tools, & historical conventions.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The silliest tool name by far is the "Magic Wand Tool,"

Feel like I should post an AMEN gif. That tool should be required to pull a rabbit out of it's hat!

Since we are Naming things - We use AD for Affinity Developer. AP for Affinity Photo. I want to use APub for Affinity Publisher. 

I'm going to post that in Feedback and suggestions lol 

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher | Super Power: ADHD | Instagram - Twitter | Code: HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Node, Lua, Kodular,  Stencyl & Unreal

14 minutes ago, edee said:

Well, Folks, I call it the Useless Tool and I would like to call it Gone!  :4_joy: 

It is far from a useless tool -- consider for example inspecting a document much larger than the screen at a high enough zoom level to see individual pixels or other fine details.

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, edee said:

That tool should be required to pull a rabbit out of it's hat!

I would much prefer that it be required to change one dollar bills into hundred dollar bills, change garbage poker hands to royal flushes, & stuff like that. xD

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is far from a useless tool -- consider for example inspecting a document much larger than the screen at a high enough zoom level to see individual pixels or other fine details.

CTRL + Scroll / Shift + Scroll - That's all I need. 

I want the option to remove a tool I will never use that bugs me beyond annoyance. 

10 minutes ago, edee said:

Since we are Naming things - We use AD for Affinity Developer. AP for Affinity Photo. I want to use APub for Affinity Publisher.

Just go ahead and use it! That’s the abbreviation I use: others prefer ‘APu’, which sounds to me too much like a character from The Simpsons.

Knowing that Affinity Publisher would be coming eventually, I decided long ago to guard against potential confusion by using the abbreviation ‘APh’ for Affinity Photo. Many people use ‘AP’ for Photo, many use ‘AP’ for Publisher, and some probably use the same abbreviation for both.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I am probably going to continue my practice of Designer for Affinity Designer, Photo for Affinity Photo and Publisher for Affinity Publisher. Just seems more clear, or as the kids say JSMC.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, edee said:

CTRL + Scroll / Shift + Scroll - That's all I need. 

There are many times I use a keyboard shortcut to move the view, but I also need to avoid doing anything that requires holding down any keys for an extended period of time, including checking for issues with fine details. That is because I typically work at the computer for 4 or more hours at a time, & even with the short breaks I take to rest my hands, having to hold the fingers of either hand in one position for very long increases the need for more frequent & longer breaks to avoid stress related injuries becoming more acute.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am probably going to continue my practice of Designer for Affinity Designer, Photo for Affinity Photo and Publisher for Affinity Publisher.

I created Mac key substitutions for all 3 app names so when you see Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, or Affinity Publisher mentioned in my posts, I actually only typed 3 or 4 characters & let the computer expand it into full names.

Affinity Photo 

I feel you - I write code for 6 hours a day, some times more. I feel like my fingers never leave the keyboard lol 

17 minutes ago, edee said:

I feel you - I write code for 6 hours a day, some times more. I feel like my fingers never leave the keyboard lol 

RSI is nothing to take lightly. A young friend of mine developed carpal tunnel syndrome so severe from too long at the keyboard that even after 3 (very expensive) corrective surgeries lifting anything as heavy as a full cup of coffee is too painful to endure, & the doctors say there is nothing more they can do that will ever change that.

Affinity Photo 

• 3 years later...
On 4/16/2019 at 12:24 AM, Callum said:

Hi Edee,

There is no way to change the default tool selected when opening the app I'm afraid. I recommend making a post regarding this in the Feature Requests section. 

Thanks

Callum

This has been requested in the Feature Requests section. In many shapes and forms. Here's a post in that forum:

But nobody at Serif seems to be doing anything about it, or telling us about when we can expect it.

If you want us to post in the Feature Requests section, it'd be nice if our requests were actually addressed or put on a roadmap. 🤨

• 10 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 2:09 AM, R C-R said:

The more you think about the tool naming conventions the less sense it makes, not just for Affinity but for Adobe & others as well.

The silliest tool name by far is the "Magic Wand Tool," which has no magical powers. A few apps & a lot of users call the View Tool the "Hand Tool," but that is the generic name for hand powered tools, so in a sense all the tools are hand tools. The Zoom & Move tools are named for the action they perform but the Node Tool is named for what it interacts with, & the Node & several other tools can perform moves when positioned appropriately on the canvas. The Zoom & View tools only differ in which planes of the view they affect, so both are really document view tools. Users & staff both often refer to the "smart shape" tools but they have no intelligence.

It is all somewhat arbitrary, based on a variety of different metaphors, analogs to physical tools, & historical conventions.

WHY WHY WHY !
My poor computer just received another load of verbal abuse today. This is becoming a regular occurrence all because of this stupid hand/view tool in Photo. It's driving me insane.

This tool is nothing but an obstruction to efficient work. We should refer to this tool as the 'MOTHER-n-LAW' tool!

The amount of wasted clicks & time it uses is beyond belief.
What is serif/affinity thinking by not addressing this issue urgently? It seems like an easy fix to achieve.
Are you doing this on purpose serif by not fixing this?

The quick temporary fix/answer should be to make the MOVE Tool the default tool!
In the future, developers could make it more dynamic with additional options, such as selecting a default tool or making the first tool the default, as suggested in other posts.

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

I do agree that I would prefer the default to be the Move Tool, rather than the View Tool. This is yet another example of Serif forcing defaults on users, rather than giving them the option to set their own, preferred defaults. (Having said that, in all honesty, I can't say that I find one click on a tool, or hitting one key, when I open a new doc. to be a major problem, just a slight annoyance!) I certainly would not want the View Tool to be removed (as some people have suggested) it is very useful, just not the tool I would choose as the default.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad