You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making an outline (stroke) with sharp corners

Hi all, new to Designer and this is my first inquiry.

I’m interested in creating borders around a vector shape that will retain sharp corners, like this:

https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/angry-bull-logo-symbol-vector-6723946

Is there anyway to do this on the iPad version? Is there any workaround to get something that looks decent even if it’s done by hand?  It would be very helpful in logo making, especially for sports teams.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @ded_languidg. :)

In the Stroke Studio, tap on the ‘Advanced’ label to display controls for the Join type and the Mitre Limit. The square join setting will ensure that any sharp bends in the curve aren’t rounded or bevelled, and choosing a higher mitre limit will ensure that the pointy bits don’t get cut off.

C6025B40-B3BA-414E-84C4-761979FFB5A5.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Really appreciate the detailed response, Alfred. I was worried the iPad version didn’t have the feature, watched video after video but all with regards to the desktop version.  Thanks a ton.

Just curious, with regard to my initial question, is the stroke method the preferred way to achieve the type of look like the one in the above link?

Edited by ded_languidg

The IPad versions Node tool allows you to select/add/delete nodes and set the type of node in the context menu. Option include sharp, smooth, smart as well as join, break, reverse close and smooth. With that combination it should be fairly easy to create the corner effects in the link.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/