You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to add multiple Layer Effects to one object

Hi I'm in the middle of a project and I can't figure out, how do you add multiples of layer effects? for example Outer Shadows, or Gradient Overlay? The workaround is to use nested layers each with their own Gradient Overlay etc, but its super tedious and messy. Any ideas? 

And if this is not possible, I really think there is a strong argument for it. Light and shadow is extremely complex and I think a lot of designers need this feature. Thanks!

The beta of Designer has this capability using the Appearance panel.  But it's not in the released version.  Word of warning anything saved in the beta can not be later loaded into the currently released version 1.6.... because its an older version.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

13 hours ago, junovhs said:

Hi I'm in the middle of a project and I can't figure out, how do you add multiples of layer effects? for example Outer Shadows, or Gradient Overlay? The workaround is to use nested layers each with their own Gradient Overlay etc, but its super tedious and messy. Any ideas? 

Assuming by nested layers you mean nesting an object in a series of Groups like in this Nested Outer Shadows.afphoto file, what is so tedious about that? You can leave the Layers Effects window open as you switch among the object & its 'parent' Group layers to adjust any of the shadows.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 4/16/2019 at 1:21 AM, R C-R said:

Assuming by nested layers you mean nesting an object in a series of Groups like in this Nested Outer Shadows.afphoto file, what is so tedious about that? You can leave the Layers Effects window open as you switch among the object & its 'parent' Group layers to adjust any of the shadows.

It's not so bad with 3 layers, but it gets extremely tedious when you're dealing with an entire scene and each object is made of like 30 layers nested in various ways, its just less organized and less consolidated. But it sounds like they figured this out for 1.7! here's hoping

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 2:33 AM, >|< said:

The current AD 1.7 beta supports multiple fills and strokes on an object, but it does not support multiples of a Layer Effect on an object. Maybe it is planned for 1.7, though.

well hey that's pretty awesome! Thanks

• 2 years later...