You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greetings and A simple Q. (Bringing Curves Into A Single Layer)

Hello Affinity community,

I recently decided to buy Affinity Designer and from them on I've found new inspiration. Technical mind meets designer mind. I've found inspiration in learning how to flow my away around Affinity designer as I'm able to flow on other graphic design products.

I currently am working on two separate projects solely on Affinity designer and even though I've been able to accomplish the major things I needed done there are other things that raise some question and several "oh why haven't they included X or Z feature"

For now my question is simple. I've created & styled several shapes (curves) but each stand on their on layer. I brought these layers together as a group (Group layer with the curves/objects under it but still on their own layer.)  I now, after the design have become more elaborated, want to mask an image (raster image) behind all of these objects. For this I've two options:  1: Mask Below but with this option I lose control over the raster image.  2: Sub-place raster image under said object(s). but while this method allows me to maintain control over the rater image, it is much complicated/inefficient to work and get the style/effect I am looking for (masked under each, right placement, resizing, etc)

The Point
If there a simple way to bring all these curves/objects together into a single layer without having to redraw/stylize all of them so that one may mask them by sub-placing the raster image? The whole point is being able to manipulate the raster image after being masked (resize, move, colorize, etc)

Thank you.

Edited by Venix

Try clipping.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

12 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Try clipping.

Excuse the lack of proper term but what I referred to as "Sub-place raster image under said object(s)" is Clipping : )
The issues that I've in said case is having to clip the rater image for every object that stands on its own layer. Is there a way to bring all objects/curves into a single layer?

I created a simple example to help me illustrate it. I want to clip the yellow figure for all objects present on said group. Given my trials and errors, the best way would be to bring all objects into a single layer. On my project, these objects are different and already have been stylized hence my dilemma.

BringObjectsIntoASingleLayerForClippingALl.png

Edited by Venix

11 minutes ago, Venix said:

Is there a way to bring all objects/curves into a single layer?

Select all the objects and press the Boolean ‘Add’ button in the Geometry section of the main toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)