You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Josephine Baker—Another New Fabric Pattern (Designer)

segts

Thank you to @R C-R for helping me with measurements on the iPad to get this BG repeating pattern perfect!

It seems that if I make sure what I all my measurements are whole numbers (including Artboards placement.) I also typed each number manually and added three decimals (.000). For now Designer doesn't show anything past one decimal, so I just made sure that everything was good even though I currently can't see past the first decimal.

I'll share what it looks like on the fabric once the sample comes in!

And keep up the great work Affinity! Your iPad app is a game-changer for my work!

1999004915_whole2copy.thumb.png.7ccb6dea1b59cec7d583f7ee1e620456.png

All the Best!

Stephen :)

Like it. You have a great way w. stylization.

Don't have my iPad running just now, but on the desktop, the Preferences setting "user interface" allows showing units to finer levels of decimal precision.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

3 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Don't have my iPad running just now, but on the desktop, the Preferences setting "user interface" allows showing units to finer levels of decimal precision.

As Stephen says, the display on the iPad version of AD is currently limited to one decimal place.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, gdenby said:

Yeah. They don't have that tweak on iPad yet. It just rounds up visually, even though it's the actual number. So if you have two shapes, one that's .75" wide and another that's .80" wide, they'll both say .8" in the measurements palette. I'm hoping that it gets fixed soon. :) @R C-R helped me with figuring a workaround in the meanwhile! 

And thank you regarding the art comment! This is a style that I've been working on for the past two years! Glad to hear some feedback!

S:)

2 hours ago, gdenby said:

I like it too. The file from the other topic has a second cartoon figure that isn't visible & it is just as likable (& detailed!) as this one. Great work!  thumbup1.gif

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 hours ago, R C-R said:

I like it too. The file from the other topic has a second cartoon figure that isn't visible & it is just as likable (& detailed!) as this one. Great work!  thumbup1.gif

TY! You mean this gal? I was inspired by Louise Brooks for her! And thanks again for your help! It really means the world to me!

S:)

lu_pattern_ig_SM.thumb.jpg.686b75fa63a3709dabeb8f4321459f81.jpg

17 minutes ago, segts said:

You mean this gal? I was inspired by Louise Brooks for her!

Yet more wonderful work! I wish I had even a tiny fraction of your talent.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Yet more wonderful work! I wish I had even a tiny fraction of your talent.

All it takes is practice.

I was thinking this AM about posting one of my first characters that I drew years ago on social to show the change. Funny that you mention it.

All it takes is practice. The best thing I'd recommend is find something you like to draw and draw it over and over again. Over time, you will get better and start making decisions on style, line quality, line width and color. It's fun to watch the progression.

Here is some examples of where I started with my Babesville series.

Early Babe Timelapse Video

Blog Link

_007maggie_final.thumb.png.fac7b7a61339cc91109709284424a3f7.png

I think you can see the difference. Check out the time lapse above if you get a chance. You can see how I used to work in Illustrator. I am loving working it Designer so much more! It really suits how I think and organize elements in my design!

Best!

Stephen:)