You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello.

I'm trying to recreate some Photoshop actions in Affinity Photo and I'm having a problem with Blend Options in Affinity.

Could someone explain to me how to translate Photoshop's "Blend If" into Affinity Photo's "Blend Options"?

A specific example in the screenshots below. I tried importing a simple PSD project with this very setting on one of the layers, but it didn't work. The setting Photo reproduced was quite bizzare (created many nodes and pushed them all to the bottom of the Source Layer matrix, making the object/layer invisible).

I would love some help. Is it possible to translate this setting to produce the exact same result in Photo?

photoshop.png.3299658ecf65b642b26a5b96412bece1.png

photo.PNG.1f584968d5af91d28f9660efec2946e8.PNG

23 minutes ago, Heres Johnny said:

The setting Photo reproduced was quite bizzare (created many nodes and pushed them all to the bottom of the Source Layer matrix, making the object/layer invisible).

The bottom of the Source Layer Ranges graph (and the Underlying Composition Ranges graph) represents 0% opacity, which explains why the object/layer became invisible, whilst the top of the graphs represents 100% opacity. The horizontal direction takes you from black on the left to white on the right, with medium brightness halfway between.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The bottom of the Source Layer Ranges graph (and the Underlying Composition Ranges graph) represents 0% opacity, which explains why the object/layer became invisible, whilst the top of the graphs represents 100% opacity. The horizontal direction takes you from black on the left to white on the right, with medium brightness halfway between.

Thanks for the answer. I get that (and I've seen the video), but I'm not sure how to replicate that node split at 200/255 for "This Layer" (Source Layer Ranges). Could you elaborate on that?

9 minutes ago, Heres Johnny said:

I'm not sure how to replicate that node split at 200/255 for "This Layer" (Source Layer Ranges)

I’m not sure either! I’d better leave you in the hands of the experts.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Heres Johnny,

The attached video should help you get started, you may need to fine tune the graph a little but i think this should be  okay.

Ignore the image used in the screen recording, this was just so i could match things up between Photoshop and Affinity.  But this range graph replicated the same setting in Affinity :) 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Gnobelix said:

or look here a very good video from User @Multi4G

Cheers

Thanks for sharing the video. Not gonna lie and say this is my area of expertise and I got there via trial and error and some pointers from @James Ritson but that video has cleared a lot of things up for me. Thanks to @Multi4G as well for taking the time to make it :) 

Thank you all so much for your help. I actually figured it out on my own and the setting below matches the Photoshop setting perfectly.

If 255 is 100% then 200 is ~78.4%, and simply leaving a node at that point and dragging the 100% in-value all the way down does the trick and creates the "split" I had in PS.

image.png.9acc5e491f2115ab9c86d72780a7b4d8.png

Now this goes slightly off topic here, but I'm doing all this in the context of testing AP as an Adobe alternative in my company. @stokerg Could you perhaps tell me whether the Curves adjustment layer will get precise (numeric) node editing, like Photoshop?

Also, Macros in AP are still rather poor compared to PS. I can't, for instance, record a color change for a Fill Layer or reorder/delete my recorded macros. I know I can uncheck them but that's not ideal if these macros are to be used by a large number of people.

Are there any plans for this?

Thanks

• 10 months later...

I was wondering if Affinity could implement the r,g,b check boxes similar to photoshop? To quickly filter out channels? The blends are cool but to quickly get rid of a colour channel I can see the check boxes being very quick. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/28/2019 at 4:53 AM, Heres Johnny said:

whether the Curves adjustment layer will get precise (numeric) node editing, like Photoshop?

Like this? Screenshot from the current Beta, 1.9.4.1048

curves_numbers.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD