You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Could someone please explain this to me

Its so frustrating.

Could someon,e please explain to me this idiotic colour choosing. It is on both Windows and Mac and also iPad. WHAT IS THE LOGIC behind that? I'm choosing colour BEFORE pen tool and then the colour is changed after 2 or one clicks or tap? Sorry, but it is so frustrating, annoying and stupid. Could you PLEASE fix that? Why do I need to check USE FILL if colour is there its quite obvious that IF COLOUR IS THERE I want to use FILL right? Its the only software that I know that has so broken logic. 

idiotic.gif.fee980037d36b5746e1eeeef5b526653.gif

Shouldn't you be setting the stroke, @Vasqes? Vector lines don't have a fill, as far as I know.

Edit: No, that was silly. You're trying to set the fill of the shape you're building. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Right, @haakoo. I edited my post as you were replying, I think.

From what I can see, you can't set the fill until you have 3 nodes defined, because when you have 0, 1, or 2 nodes defined there is no fill (as I first said). It's only when you have 3 nodes defined that a fill is possible.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's only when you have 3 nodes defined that a fill is possible.

A fill is possible when you have two nodes defined, but only when they’re joined by a curved line segment.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, MickRose said:

If you click Use Fill image.png.d724b20121f2f5132bcdd179678be53c.png you can have a fill for open curves

Yes, I realized that. But until you have 3 points (or 2 points and a curved line joining them, as @Alfred mentioned), you don't have an open curve. You simply have a line.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks for your reply guys I know that Use fill is there. I was pointing at some design flaws. For the new users its a nightmare. as such a thing like that checker, the box is not easy to notice. I'm just trying to help serif to improve user experience to be last frustrating and mysterious. My next topic will be how to select a brush as:) this is a mystery. IMO The designer who designed the UI wasn't aware of many things. Or maybe it wasn't a UX designer at all - If not Serif please hire one - eggheads aren't the best UX designers as they are too introverted :)

TA @walt.farrell@Alfred

@MickRose