You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master's items on top of the layers palette

When you apply a Master to a page, all the Master's items are placed in a layers group at the bottom of the layers palette. Is there also a way to create a Master so that some items are also placed automatically at the top of the layers palette in each page? Or in other words, is there a way to create a Master so that it generates several layers groups for each page?

• 2 weeks later...

But how keep the master pages always on top?

I put the page numbers in the master page, and applied to all the pages of the document, when in the page I insert text, drawing or images these numbers end up under the new elements, and I have to rearrange them manually, dragging the layer numbers up.

I think it would be better to have master layers for the master page, so you can keep these elements that must be always on top (or below) the new elements in the right order.

1 hour ago, bebez71 said:

How can do it if you have 300 pages for example?
Page by page?

Currently, I believe that is the case.

This is a limitation that will obviously need to be addressed, though it might not be until a future version of the product depending on how Serif is prioritizing this.

4 hours ago, bebez71 said:

I put the page numbers in the master page, and applied to all the pages of the document, when in the page I insert text, drawing or images these numbers end up under the new elements, and I have to rearrange them manually, dragging the layer numbers up.

While it might be nice to have the function we're talking about, I gave a hard time thinking of a situation where I would want information like page numbers overlaying text or images on a page.

Wouldn't you get better results visually if you created the text or images in locations that don't overlap the page numbers?

If you're overlapping them it seems to me that you have a page design and layout problem to resolve, not a functional problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, bebez71 said:

Sorry, but you never see a layout like this, with page numbers on photos?

No, I haven't. Thanks for the example.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 hours ago, bebez71 said:

OK, but you have to do it manually.

How can do it if you have 300 pages for example?
Page by page?

@bebez71

To move a Master Page to top of layers panel on all pages

1. Goto first page with the master attached

2. In layers panel select the Master Page

3. Right Click & select Edit Linked

4. Layer > Arrange > Move to Front

5. Click Finish button at top of screen

Note: In step 4 above I would have expected dragging the master to the top of the layers panel to do the same thing but I got unpredictable results, so dont do it that way

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

In step 4 above I would have expected dragging the master to the top of the layers panel to do the same thing

I would have expected that too, Carl. The fact that you got different results should probably be reported as a bug. bug.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

I would have expected that too, Carl. The fact that you got different results should probably be reported as a bug. bug.gif

Not sure if it is a bug

When you drag the Master Page Layer (MPL) to the top of the stack you get a history entry called Move

When you use Layer > Arrange > Move to Front to move the MPL to the top of the stack you get a history entry called Move nodes to top

So it's possible these are 2 separate actions and it's working like it should

What is a bug though is if after you pressed the Finish button you go back to the History entry just before Edit Linked then only the MPL on the current page is returned to the bottom of the layer stack.  All other pages still show the MPL as being at the top of the stack.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, bebez71 said:

The shift of the level occurs only on the selected page. To make it work you have to select all the pages and then follow the carl123 infos from point 2 to point 5.

Are you sure as I did not have to do that and I tested it on a 10 page document

I only needed to select one page, run steps 1-5 above and all Master Page Layers where moved to the top on all the 10 pages

You're right, I made a mistake.
If I use the Layer > Arrange > Move to Front it works, but if you use (ant thats my mistake) the button 1671567503_Schermata2019-04-30alle12_56_18.png.dcd8d331a762ea2ae5f8c95c5e719373.png it doesn't work.

Edit: Sorry again, It works also with the button.
I don't know why, but I have different results every time....

Edited by bebez71
Change

20 hours ago, bebez71 said:

Sorry, but you never see a layout like this, with page numbers on photos?

If you expect to have photos like that on lots of pages, consider also placing a photo frame on a master page such that the page number field is above the frame.  Then you can populate the frame for each document page and the master page itself will take care of the layering.

Hover over the page in the Pages panel and it show pop-up which master is applied