You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The names of corrective layers.

The name of the adjustment layer is not equal to the name in the selection menu.

Curves = Curves Adjusment

Unnecessary words complicate perception and slow down the search in large documents.

Curves = Сurves  -  This option is visually more pleasant. We immediately see what this layer is. Well, for those with PS moves less repulsive moments.

If for the English language this is not very critical (although this still overloads the interface).

4.png.f718363b173f85cca8dcb7783bddfe82.png

The most important words are at the beginning, and they are immediately visible.

In the Russian version everything is much sadder. The most important word is in the middle of a sentence. And it is still necessary to search.

1.png.dfee294efd96a4349799dc0ce41d710e.png

The short title option would be the most usable. A document with a huge number of layers overloaded with unnecessary words, which in fact do not carry important information. It looks frightening and repulsive, especially for new users whose loyalty to the program at the start is minimal. 2.thumb.png.997a2f17dad4f8e9958e5c8fa0272610.png

Curves=Curves
Кривые=Кривые

Insignificant detail at first glance, but having a lot of weight for new users. Well, in general, make work in the AP more convenient

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

I agree that there are too many words. It’s obvious that ‘Vibrance’, ‘Levels’ and ‘Curves’ are adjustments.

In the English version there is only the word ‘Adjustment’ but in your screenshots I see two different words: ‘коррекция’ and ‘корректировка’. Google Translate tells me that ‘коррекция’ means ‘correction’ and ‘корректировка’ means ‘adjustment’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

19 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I agree that there are too many words. It’s obvious that ‘Vibrance’, ‘Levels’ and ‘Curves’ are adjustments.

In the English version there is only the word ‘Adjustment’ but in your screenshots I see two different words: ‘коррекция’ and ‘корректировка’. Google Translate tells me that ‘коррекция’ means ‘correction’ and ‘корректировка’ means ‘adjustment’.

"коррекция" and "корректировка" - translated correctly. So it should be. But these words are superfluous. They do not carry (important) semantic load, but they visually overload the interface.

Windows 11 64-bit,

Is that not indicating what kind of layer it is?

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

6 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Of course, but the label ‘(Vibrance)’ should be all you need, especially since the thumbnail has an adjustment icon — the black and white circle — overlaid on it.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

Right, points. When I opened the AP for the first time and saw this ... Why do I need so much obvious information? When you see one word, it is clear that this layer is immediately. When you see a sentence, you have to ponder it, read. And when there are a lot of layers with long names, it becomes hard to find the right one. It's like on the door handle of the car the inscription "this is a door knob" seems to be true, but why do I need it?
This information is obvious, does not carry additional semantic load. When we choose from the drop-down menu from short names, then we understand everything. The long name in the layers panel only brings in some visual chaos. Short layer names look neater, while remaining equally understandable and functional.

Windows 11 64-bit,

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Of course, but the label ‘(Vibrance)’ should be all you need, especially since the thumbnail has an adjustment icon — the black and white circle — overlaid on it.

Hmmm Never bothered me. Rather than get rid of it, they might make the default text disappear  once you start editing. That would not be such a great leap in programming

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

18 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Hmmm Never bothered me. Rather than get rid of it, they might make the default text disappear  once you start editing. That would not be such a great leap in programming

You and I are using the app in English, where it isn’t a major problem. In the Russian language interface that @Max N is using, ‘Curves Adjustment’ becomes ‘Корректировка кривых’, giving undue prominence to the ‘Корректировка/adjustment’ part of the label.

Alfred spacer.png

Regarding visual overload of interface there is a lot can be improved... some RU translations are make tools less usable than before.

For example unneedlessly lengthy names move "protect alpha channel" option of drawing brush into hidden submenu... and sometimes this option needs to be changed a lot (on/off for different tasks)

Scr20190414_1714_#1_AffinityPhoto.png

54 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Imagine if windows would add to the folder name that it is a folder with files.

323.png.e38d444c907b5b483f579743cbc7bf88.png

Which option will be more convenient? Top or bottom?

Here the user who switched from PS to AP sees the same picture. It is not necessary to write on the folder that this folder, on the archive in the title, too, it is not necessary to write that it is an archive. This is obvious in understanding and inconvenient in perception ..

Windows 11 64-bit,

1 hour ago, Max N said:

Which option will be more convenient? Top or bottom?

Here the user who switched from PS to AP sees the same picture. It is not necessary to write on the folder that this folder, on the archive in the title, too, it is not necessary to write that it is an archive. This is obvious in understanding and inconvenient in perception ..

That is apples and oranges Max. That being said, I have no skin in she discussion ... it won't affect me one way or the other but if it affects others then by all means lets get it changed

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

10 minutes ago, >|< said:

Not at all! It was an excellent analogy.

Not really, it was quite different

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

7 hours ago, Rick G said:

Not really, it was quite different 

This is the industry standard and deviation from it. My specialty is automation technology engineering. I well understand that the loss of 10 seconds in the operation does not look scary. But within the framework of the technological process, the operation can be repeated millions of times, and this is no longer 10 seconds of losses.
AP is a replacement for the PS (industry standard). In many ways, AP is superior to PS. But there are little things that can slow down the process and I pay attention to them. Perhaps this is obvious to me as a result of my education. Perhaps for the average user is not so obvious. I sincerely wish that the AP would develop and become better, so that new users (during the test period) were faced with a minimum amount of inconvenience, and saw more advantages. Then the market share of AP will grow and, with time, the AP will significantly push PS.

Windows 11 64-bit,

On 4/14/2019 at 7:50 AM, Max N said:

Shhhh. Do not give them ideas.

Overall I think your original suggestion is quite a good one. Less reading means less fatigue.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.