VectorCat

freehand lasso tool turns into hand tool!! ??

trying to work with the lasso tool  to make a selection. somehow Photo thinks it should be the hand tool, with hand tool functionality. IOW, move the image around the screen. Yet lasso tool ICON still is selected.

Feature or bug?

2012 Mac Book Pro 12”, 8GB RAM, Mojave  |  2017 iPad Pro 12.9” 256GB, iOS 12.1.1

Is this an image you have dragged or placed into a file?

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr

If your selected image has (Image) against it in the Layers Panel, then go to Layer  > Rasterize. This should convert your layer to a (Pixel) layer, and your selection should work. If it was already a (Pixel) layer then I'm stuck. An Image layer acts as a single object, not as a collection of pixels.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

What I noticed in working with my Easter image is that Photo can “hang on” to the selected tool only for so long. I have to save, quit Photo, then relaunch and resume working until the next time it fails to acknowledge the tool being selected.

To me, it feels like a bug.

2012 Mac Book Pro 12”, 8GB RAM, Mojave  |  2017 iPad Pro 12.9” 256GB, iOS 12.1.1

If your layer is indeed a (Pixel) layer, then it does indeed look like a bug.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Yes. Let me assure you and all others that I am editing a raster  image and not a placed vector, or any mix of vector and raster elements.

When the icon turns to the hand icon are you able to go back to the Freehand Selection tool by pressing the Space Bar?