You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pocket version for iPhone

Hi! Does it make sense to wait for the light version for the iPhone in the near future?

I really miss the pocket vector editor for accurate sketches ... with symmetry and sticking on the grid

Or can you recommend an application from another manufacturer? ;-)

20 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Honestly on a small screen device like an iPhone nothing like that is seriously comfortable to use.

iPhoneX + Procreate + wacom... is very convenient solution B| I can even solve professional problems.  

but not in vector ;-)

4 minutes ago, R28 said:

iPhoneX + Procreate + wacom... is very convenient solution

Not compared to an iPad, particularly one that supports the Apple Pencil. It is also a lot cheaper if you use a non-Pro iPad that supports the original Pencil. $600 US will cover the cost of the new iPad Air with 64 GB of storage (but no cellular connectivity) plus a first generation Apple Pencil.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R28 said:

Yes, but for me there are no advantages, it does not fit into my pocket and on the move I will not quickly work with such a thing ... 

So does your Wacom fit in your pocket? :35_thinking:

As for working while on the move, iPads are very well suited for that -- in fact, I don't know anyone, myself included, who owns one who does not routinely use it that way.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

57 minutes ago, R28 said:

wacom stylus! :D :4_joy:

Ah, OK. It does not compare well vs. the Apple Pencil & iPads that support it, but it seems to be the best choice currently for use with iPhones.

Affinity Photo 

Well there are so many iOS (iPhone/iPad) drawing tools available, thus just naming a few of these here (and only those who also claim to run on iPhones) ...

• ArtStudio Pro
  • Linea Painter
  • Medibang Paint
  • Photoshop Sketch
  • Autodesk SketchBook
  • Graphic for iPhone
  • Sketches Pro
  • Vectornator
  • ... and so on ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 4/20/2019 at 5:30 AM, v_kyr said:

Well there are so many iOS (iPhone/iPad) drawing tools available, thus just naming a few of these here (and only those who also claim to run on iPhones) ...

• ArtStudio Pro
  • Linea Painter
  • Medibang Paint
  • Photoshop Sketch
  • Autodesk SketchBook
  • Graphic for iPhone
  • Sketches Pro
  • Vectornator
  • ... and so on ...

Do they all work with a vector with snapping to a grid?

AFAIK few of them are real vector apps (Graphics, Vectornator), most are probably bitmap painting apps. You have to look yourself on the AppStore and the respective websites of those tools what they finally offer.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I understood you. ;-) Thanks for the information! 
But still Affinity Designer for iPhone will be very useful for many professionals!  I really hope that the developers will soon be engaged in this...

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2019 at 9:20 PM, R28 said:

Yes, but for me there are no advantages, it does not fit into my pocket and on the move I will not quickly work with such a thing ... 

And if I'm sitting, then there is a laptop ;-) or a desktop computer. 

R28, I think you are simply right, an iPad takes nearly the same space as a laptop, if we want to speak about portability, than we should consider smartphones.

I've got AP and AD on my macbook pro 13" but my work stops every time I don't have it with me. I just made one starting with Vectornator on my iPhone and finishing with AD on my mac, but why should I use two different softwares that are not compatible with the risk to waste a lot of time?

39 minutes ago, rbrx said:

an iPad takes nearly the same space as a laptop

An iPad with a 12.9" screen might take up nearly as much space as a MacBook Pro with a 13" screen, but I imagine it would be quite a bit thinner. My iPad Air 2, which has a 9.7" screen, is half the size of my 14" Windows laptop (and a small fraction of the thickness and weight).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, rbrx said:

I'm almost sure it doesn't fit your pocket and you have to carry it in a bag... Am I wrong?

I probably don’t have many pockets big enough to accommodate it (although I do have one or two!) but that wasn’t the main point of my post. I was picking up on your comparison of your MBP with a large iPad, and contrasting it with my comparison between my smallish laptop and my much smaller iPad Air 2.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, rbrx said:

I'm almost sure it doesn't fit your pocket and you have to carry it in a bag... Am I wrong?

You are not wrong about that, but the idea of "quickly" getting much work done on a device with a screen that would fit in my pocket, particularly while I am on the move, seems overly optimistic. If nothing else, the amount of zooming & scrolling required to work on small scale details would slow things to a crawl for me & limit how long I could keep at it without my hand cramping up.

Affinity Photo 

It would be nice if one could at least open the images (pan and scan) on an iPhone. By the way, in iOS 12.3.1 I can't even see a preview of the image from the files app.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

31 minutes ago, RNKLN said:

It would be nice if one could at least open the images (pan and scan) on an iPhone.

But how would that help anyone get more than the barest minimum of work done?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

But how would that help anyone get more than the barest minimum of work done?

Not at all, but I would like it. I often check affinity files from my phone but currently it's just a preview in files app. 

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

• 2 months later...

I have been working on similar paintings for months and I do know the average amount of time I need for one of those. I have been using iPad mini 2, iPad 9.7 inch (2018), iPad mini 5, iPhone SE (the latter of which has smaller than the smallest iPhone screen size available at the moment) and when working with Procreate (or Procreate Pocket for iPhone), I haven't been any slower on iPhone than on iPad, not to mention being slower on mini compared to 9.7 inch. When working on details, you may need to pan and zoom some more the smaller the screen (if necessary at all, even that's depending on the workflow. For example, working on somewhat abstract paintings doesn't require that much precision), but larger screen sizes require much longer movements to reach the UI. Personally, in regards to UI interaction, I am much faster on iPhone than on iPad. Most of my workflow requires painting details, so that does even out with more pan and zoom on iPhone compared to iPad mini. My workflow was slowest on iPad 9.7 inch. The screen was big enough to make UI interaction a hassle, while not providing enough pan and zoom advantage to compensate for that.
Currently, I would say the overall efficiency of my workflow is very similar on both devices that I am using at the moment (iPhone SE and iPad mini 5), with the only notable difference being the much faster CPU on iPad mini 5, resulting in faster export times.
Personally, I would be interested in Photo and Designer for iPhone as well. It would make things much more capable on iPhone. I am currently using both Designer and Photo on iPad mini 5 and for a lot of things, you don't just require painting (Procreate), but also editing (Photo) and some vector (Designer).
And yes, I do have my phone with me most of the time, but I wouldn't bother running around with my iPad, just in case I have some spare time at some point. I have painted hundreds of images on iPhone. Not would I just say working on those was at least as efficient as on iPad mini 2 or iPad 9.7 inch (2018), I wouldn't have had my iPad with me at all. So there wouldn't be any of those images, at all.

Just for reference, there are a few topics about iPhone versions:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/93108-iphone-app/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/83494-pocket-version-for-iphone/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/78555-affinity-designer-ipad-for-iphone-split/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/76941-affinity-photo-for-iphone/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/47837-iphone-version/

34 minutes ago, shushustorm said:

... I haven't been any slower on iPhone than on iPad, not to mention being slower on mini compared to 9.7 inch.

You must have a lot thinner or narrower fingers than I do. As it is, I can barely type on my iPhone 5s keyboard without hitting the wrong key by mistake. Even if use one of those blunt-tipped capacitive pens that work with it, I still have to be very careful to tap the correct key. 

Judging from that, I would find it just about impossible to get much done with a 'pocket' version of Designer or Photo on my phone.

Affinity Photo