You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Saving SVG not saving dimensions

I am creating a vector image that is 12x12 inches and 300dpi in AD, I then export it as a SVG file and then reopen it in Silhouette Studio (SS). Once I open the file in SS the SVG is only 1.389 x 1.389 inches. 

At first I thought the problem was SS, but then I downloaded a SVG from the web and opened it in SS, it opened fine. So I opened the same file in AD and immediately exported it as a SVG and reopened it in SS. The file, that had originally opened correctly in SS was now 1.389 x 1.389 after being opened in AD and reexported. 

To make doubly sure the problem is AD, I created a blank image in SS and exported it as a SVG. Clearly that SVG was exactly what SS needed. I reopened the SVG in SS and it was the correct size. Great, then I opened that same image in AD and immediately exported it as an SVG (without any editing) and reopened it in SS. The file, that had originally been created in SS and opened correctly in SS was now 1.389 x 1.389 after being opened in AD and reexported. 

I have the same problem opening a SVG file created in AD in every program. 

How do I get AD to export the dimensions of the SVG image/file? 

Thank you.

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher | Super Power: ADHD | Instagram - Twitter | Code: HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Node, Lua, Kodular,  Stencyl & Unreal

You have SS business edition?

Upload the SVG exported by SS so I can look at the code.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

This is the code from the SS SVG, it gives a width and height in mm

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
<!-- exported from Silhouette Studio Business Edition V4.1.479ssbe -->
<svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" width="304.8mm" height="304.8mm" viewBox="0 0 304.8 304.8">
<defs/>
<path d="M 9.688995 10.64894 L 9.752992 10.64894 L 35.28738 14.4887" fill="none" fill-opacity="1" stroke="#FF0000" stroke-opacity="1" stroke-width="0.1" stroke-linecap="round" stroke-linejoin="round"/>
</svg>

This is from Affinity Designer exporting as SVG for Print, this is a width and height of 100% instead of actual dimensions, the view box dimensions are converted to pixels.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD
SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd"><svg width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 3600 3600" version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" 
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xml:space="preserve" xmlns:serif="http://www.serif.com/"
 style="fill-rule:evenodd;clip-rule:evenodd;stroke-linejoin:round;stroke-miterlimit:1.41421;"><path d="M1800,0c993.447,0 1800,806.553 1800,1800c0,993.447 -806.553,1800 
 -1800,1800c-993.447,0 -1800,-806.553 -1800,-1800c0,-993.447 806.553,-1800 1800,-1800Zm0,900c496.724,0 900,403.276 900,900c0,496.724 -403.276,900 -900,900c-496.724,0
  -900,-403.276 -900,-900c0,-496.724 403.276,-900 900,-900Z" style="fill:#ff9c2b;"/></svg>

Go to export... as SVG for export, and select the More button, uncheck the set view box, and export.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I think I've misses something. Am I supposed to do something with the code? 
When I go to export > SVG > More  and I don't see a set view box. 

I have a feeling I'm being stupid. 

image.thumb.png.5feb191210c4bfaaa449a194c6606243.png

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher | Super Power: ADHD | Instagram - Twitter | Code: HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Node, Lua, Kodular,  Stencyl & Unreal

There is a scroller aka scrollbar for the SVG more options view, scroll that down to see the other options!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, edee said:

Dear Laurd! Yes, I was being stupid! 

THANK YOU ALL!!! 

More commonly known as a brain fart lol!

On Mac, the export panel comes up and shows the More button.
1051368_ScreenShot2019-04-14at06_54_39.png.5615433b687890a73f33d98e53488226.png

It might be an idea to add your Operating System, Which affinity apps you use and the other software you use, like Silhouette Studio Business Edition in your signature (sig). We can then tailor replies better and it saves having to ask.

You can access your sig from Account settings when you click on the icon top right of the forum.

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

On Mac, the export panel comes up and shows the More button.

On Windows too, but the problem is that it’s easy to miss the scrollbar in the dialog which pops up when you press that ‘More’ button. ;)

You can access your sig from Account settings when you click on the icon top right of the forum.

You need to click on your name, not your avatar, to display the pop-up menu where the Account Settings link resides (but I’ve now included that link here).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

On Windows too, but the problem is that it’s easy to miss the scrollbar in the dialog which pops up when you press that ‘More’ button. ;)

Of course, on Mac you see all the settings in the more panel, well on a 27" iMac you do :D

Brain Fart is right. I just got done telling someone I was good with computers - talk about open mouth insert foot. 

Adding my OS crossed my mind as soon as I hit the submit button, and then I got distracted before I could edit. I LOVE The idea of putting it in my signature. That's brilliant. 

Thanks again guys. 

@edee Hows silhouette studio business edition, I only have the basic version and also use Make the Cut but MTC isn't developed anymore, which is a shame because it could be a great app.

I think silhouette studio have messed up the interface a bit with poor icons.

Silhouette Studio Business Edition is clunky and inept - and that's the nicest thing I can say about it. Of course I have used Affinity and Ai so my opinion may be a bit bias. 

I only purchased the business edition because I wanted to use the SVG feature and because if you purchase it from Swing Design and it was only $50 at the time. 

2 minutes ago, edee said:

Swing Design and it was only $50 at the time. 

SVG is the reason I got MTC when it was on offer but I think they are misleading people not mentioning that it is not being actively developed anymore. Its a good app, albeit quirky and I wish the dev would give it some more attention because with a bit more effort it could be a genre leader. If I could programme I'd write my own but my brain doesn't work that way. 

I have never heard of MTC, but there is a lot about SS software that's misleading. However I had the cricut first and that was worse. So it's like voting for the President, you vote for the one you hate the least. 

4 minutes ago, edee said:

I have never heard of MTC, but there is a lot about SS software that's misleading. However I had the cricut first and that was worse. So it's like voting for the President, you vote for the one you hate the least. 

Totally agree, I have the Silhouette Cameo-2 

I like to look for open source software like Inkcut, which will run on Mac, windows and linux, it can be installed as an extension to Inkscape as well as a freestanding install.