You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

issue with OTF italic fonts

I have two OTF Fonts installed named Gotham Book and Gotham Book Italic

Drawing a text box with a few words in Gotham Book is ok.

As soon as I change a word to Gotham Book Italic the font of the word changes correctly but the Font Manager reports missing Gotham Book Italic

Changing the substitution font or substitution style in Font Manager is not possible. It immediately switches back to Arial Italic

This seems to happen only wih OTF fonts. Using the Windows standard Calibri and Calibri italic TTF fonts works (see second pic)

otfbug.jpg

bug02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The issue is probably the fonts.
I have four different versions of the Gotham family  (16 styles) and the name fields inside the fonts range from a bit odd to totally wacko.
Your fonts could be missing required info.
Or APub could be confused by the way Book is used in what would normally be the Regular style group (which is treated a bit differently than other groups).

I would like to see the actual fonts.
Please send them to me via PM.

First just to clarify ...
Calibri and Calibri Italic are OpenType fonts, but with TrueType outlines.
The OpenType standard/spec recommends that
- OpenType fonts with PostScript outlines have the .otf extension
- OpenType fonts with TrueType outlines have the .ttf extension
Most of the time this recommendation is followed by commercial font foundries.
But you will find OT fonts with TrueType outlines with the .otf extension.
And older actual TrueType fonts also have the .ttf extension.
It is confusing.

On to the issue at hand ...

The fonts you sent me look fine.
I see no reason what they should not work.
All the naming fields for Typographic Family (used by APub) look fine.
Your fonts - Gotham.v3.201.(2014-03-19).OTF-PS
I have here - Gotham.v3.301.(2018-09-21).OTF-PS
They have made some changes in the name fields and the weights assigned..

Your fonts - Gotham.v3.201.(2014-03-19).OTF-PS - Style Groups
Note that older windows apps like LibreOffice use the style groups.
APub is using the Typographic Family and Subfamily (not pictured here).
The point is - all of it looks OK.
Gotham_v3_201.(2014-03-19).OTF-PS.Style-Groups.png.32000620706b2fd854a88318650d3072.png

My fonts - Gotham.v3.301.(2018-09-21).OTF-PS - Style Groups
There is now a full four font style group
Gotham - comprised of Book/BookItalic/Bold/BoldItalic

Gotham_v3_301.(2018-09-21).OTF-PS.Style-Groups.png.95e5aab332965d0970b24c16077035f8.png

LibreOffice on Windows uses style groups.
So only the Gotham font is in the font list (not Book or Bold),
and then you use the Bold and Italic buttons.
All of it looks OK.

783003460_LibreOfficeFontFamilyTests-CommercialFonts-Gotham(normal)-1200x1553.thumb.png.8b5d5989f694ad7a192d0310c7fe7f41.png

Gotham (normal width) tested in APub 1.7.0.305 (Beta)
All fonts selected from the toolbar - which appears to be Typographic Family/Subfamily.
It all looks OK.
Export to PDF - checked and all fonts are correct.
Below is Export to PNG.
Gotham.(normal).tests.thumb.png.c5fe91923e5d352478e4bd9cb4e778f4.png

So I have no issues in APub with my Gotham fonts.

I think the issue may be with your system.
Some users have had odd issues related to having duplicate fonts installed.
And when those were cleaned up the issues went away.

Use a file manager to look in your Windows fonts folder to see if you have any duplicates.
You have to be able to see the actual files (not the Windows Fonts display).
Look for duplicates such as:
- Gotham-Book.otf
- Gotham-Book_0.otf
- Gotham-Book_1.otf.
If you find any, delete all the font files (for those with duplicates only, not all your fonts)
and then restart your system.
That should rebuild your font cache.
Then re-install the fonts.
Then restart APub and see if the issue is gone.

I saw no issues with the fonts you sent.
I have no issues with the Gotham fonts I have.
Try the above and then if that does not work I can send these fonts for testing.

Wow, thanks a lot for all the effort. Must have been a lot of work.

I followed your advice and found  Gotham-Book_0.otf etc. in the font folder. After deleting all gotham fonts I restartet Windows and tried to reinstall the fonts. But Windows claimed that the fonts are already installed so the font cache wasn't cleaned. I installed them anyway, but the original issue still persists.

Next I'll try to clean the font cache manually and reinstall again...

Yeah, the Windows registry also has errors.
You can manually remove the errors.
Font management apps like MainType and FontExpert have utilities to clean the registry errors. Not sure if the demo versions have this enabled. On my phone on the Metro right now so I cannot check.

But you need to get the registry, font cache, and font files back in sync. Try it on your own first. I may get back here later today or it may be tomorrow.

Because of this Windows font issue I now have a method which keeps it all working correctly. Will explain later.

17 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Font management apps like MainType and FontExpert have utilities to clean the registry errors. Not sure if the demo versions have this enabled. On my phone on the Metro right now so I cannot check.

I’ve just visited the High-Logic website from my iPad. As you can see on this page of the MainType 8 manual, the Registry Fixer is only available in the Professional Edition of the program.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@polyeder
How is it going?
It does appear that FontExpert has a 30-day full function trial.

Once I cleaned-up all the Windows font issues I now keep a tab open in my file manager to the fonts folder. When I un-install fonts I make sure they are gone. Often files are left behind and then when you install a new version duplicates are created. It appears some apps such as APub have problems with that.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:24 AM, Sean P said:

Thanks for the files LibreTraining. I've tried it myself and it is working as expected for me. Polyeder, are you using any form of Font Management on your machine?

No, just plain Windows 7.

I checked the Gotham Fonts with the 30 day trial of Font Expert under Tools/Detect Font Problems/Installed Fonts. All Fonts are reported as not having problems. Same with Tools/Detect Font Problems/Font substitutions.

I deinstalled the Gotham fonts anyway and reinstalled the same Gotham fonts sent to LibreTraining but the problem persists, even with the new 1.7.0.312.

I knew about the duplicate fonts issue because that is the same problem I ran into with LibreOffice on Windows. It too would not display certain fonts until I cleaned-up all the duplicate font files, registry errors, and font cache issues.
LibreOffice now takes about three minutes to rebuild its font cache when I install new fonts, but at least there are no issues like this any more.

It could be APub is not rebuilding its font cache properly, or when needed.
Application font caches also get corrupted.
FontExplorer X has a utility which can clear the Windows font cache, and the font caches of various Adobe apps and Quark, etc.
That tool exists to help users because there is an ongoing problem.

Try this:
- Exit APub if running
- Un-install the fonts
- Make sure the font files are actually gone from the fonts folder
- Run the FontExpert utility to see if there are still any registry errors
  (If I remember correctly I may have even manually edited my registry to delete errors)
- Manually delete the Windows font cache
- Restart your system
- Windows will rebuild the Windows font cache
- Start APub - it should rebuild the APub font cache without Gotham (check)
- Stop APub again
- Re-install the fonts
- Restart APub and test - it should rebuild its font cache with correct fonts

If APub still has issues - try another application.
If the other application works, then APub is not properly rebuilding its font cache.

I tried each and everything without success. On my PC Gotham Book Italic is shown as missing in APub's resources dialog although it's properly displayed in the document. All other Gotham fonts work fine and on another Windows PC everything works fine with the same Gotham font set.

As  Gotham Book Italic displays and prints fine despite of the error message i'll stop wasting time with the strange Windows font system. Thank you very much for all your assistance and best regards to LibreTraining for the care package.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.