You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Pencil tool drawing straight lines with Wacom tablet

Hello dear Forum,

I tried to draw with my Wacom Intuos 4 in Affinity Designer unsing the pencil tool in the software. The problem is that it is always drawing a staight line, even if I draw curved lines, using my pencil from my Wacom tablet.

If I draw with my mouse/cursor, everything works fine.

I also have Affinity Photo. There is no problem neither with my tablet nor with my mouse. Everything works nicely.

I think it must be a setting issue but I can't find out what I have to click on.

Would be awesome to get some fast answers, so I can start working today :D

Wacom Tablet Pencil issue.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for confirming. What happens if you go into the Pixel Persona and use the Paint Brush? Does Affinity Photo work correctly when using the Paint Brush?

In Preferences > Performance, what do you have selected under Display?

16 minutes ago, Leigh said:

Thanks for confirming. What happens if you go into the Pixel Persona and use the Paint Brush? Does Affinity Photo work correctly when using the Paint Brush?

In Preferences > Performance, what do you have selected under Display?

Pixel Persona is also the same!

As described, Affinity Photo works perfect.

// Edit: uploaded correct image

Performance AP AD.jpg

On 4/15/2019 at 11:42 AM, Leigh said:

Thanks for the screenshots. If you go to Preferences > Tools, can you try toggling High precision tablet input (experimental) to see if that improves things?

Hey Leigh! This worked! I had to set High precision tablet input (experimental) off!

Thank you so much for your patience :)

Hope this thread might help some other people trying to fix the same problem I had!

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure this will help but...

I have also had the exact same issue on numerous occasions; (It has been reported a couple of times in the forum)...It occurs in AD 1.6 and AD 1.7 beta...

I initially thought that this was a bug in AD/AP but when I watched this video over the weekend I am not so sure. (Video Link)...

With the issue occasionally  re-occurring; where the Wacom simply stops responding to movement and resorts to drawing straight lines (AD1.7 Beta)..really annoying but still...O.o

Previously I would close the App and re-open it with the issue gone..but I have also found that 'toggling' the settings (clicking on app icon or adjusting sliders) within the driver/pen properties; and/or adding the Wacom Apps directly to  the application tablet properties (something I do not normally do) can fix the issue without closing AD or AP....

NB

I disabled Windows Windows Pen and ink completely(hopefully!)...The issue that caught me out here was the fact that it's not simply a matter of disabling the check-boxes but also setting the values in associated dropDowns to 'nothing'

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1