You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjusting text frame on master page is way too slow

I am trying Affinity Publisher to create book (300 pages).

Adjusting basic text frame on master pages (when adjusting book size etc.) is a way to slow. It is almost impossible to change it!

Publisher probably instantly redraws all pages… what might be a nice feature for a poster, but in this scenario, it makes no sense.

Adjusting the size of a text frame on the Master will require updating all the pages you've applied it to, reflowing all the text between linked frames on the document pages, etc.

I'm not sure how it could work differently, unless editing the Master was a 2-phase operation, with a commit button that actually applied the changes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a problem with the text frame tool.

have a text frame on one of my master pages that I cannot remove. At best it turns pink.

I also cannot edit this field.

And I cannot place any other text field.

I closed the app and reopened but that didn't help. Looks like the whole document has been corrupted.

8 hours ago, World View said:

I also have a problem with the text frame tool.

have a text frame on one of my master pages that I cannot remove. At best it turns pink.

I also cannot edit this field.

And I cannot place any other text field.

I closed the app and reopened but that didn't help. Looks like the whole document has been corrupted.

If it's a file you can let others look at, perhaps we can see something wrong.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 4/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, walt.farrell said:

Adjusting the size of a text frame on the Master will require updating all the pages you've applied it to, reflowing all the text between linked frames on the document pages, etc.

I'm not sure how it could work differently, unless editing the Master was a 2-phase operation, with a commit button that actually applied the changes.

How about to do the changes on a (temporary) copy of the master page (which will not be applied to any document page during changes) and then, after all changes are done, you either a.) replace via copy/paste the master page content or b.) delete the master page link from the document pages + assign the new master page to them.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If it's a file you can let others look at, perhaps we can see something wrong.

Thank you Walt. I made two mistakes. 1. I had content on the Master pages. 2. I tried to delete a text frame when in text frame tool - works in Adobe, but here it's different, I had to move to the move tool to delete a text box. Solved, thank you.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.