You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[By design] is the dust and scratches working?

"Does not seem to work" could be open to many interpretations.

As far as I can see:

With 32-bit RGB images, both Live and Destructive versions of the filter are disabled (greyed out).

With 8-bit and 16-bit RGB images, the filter has some effect at low tolerances but doesn't add what I would consider to be dust, scratches or both:

(the video is 16-bit Destructive).

Similar effects with LAB colour - haven't had time to test this, or CMYK, or checking and unchecking the Channel Tolerance button.

(I have Metal enabled - haven't tried the other way.)

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

5 minutes ago, srg said:

to remove the dust and scratches....but from what? a scan of an older photo?

Possibly. Or possibly from photos taken while you have dust on the camera sensor, if your camera has interchangeable lenses.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As an example (and to cover my earlier embarrassment): I have an intractably stuck piece of dirt on my sensor which shows up as a dark mark in plain sky backgrounds.

I could get rid of the mark using Dust and Scratches by creating a Live Filter layer, adjusting the settings until the mark is no longer visible, then inverting the Live Filter layer and painting over the mark in white:

However, for a quick fix I reckon it's probably more effective to use the Inpainting Brush - certainly fewer steps.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Not sure i follow that logic, yes it works, but why not using the inpainting brush tool. One step instead of three...and yes you mentioned that. 

But I think that there must be another reason for that dust and scratched otherwise just useless unless for older photo or something like that

The Inpainting Brush is destructive. I suppose if you wanted to keep the original dusty scratchy image then you could use a live filter.

1 hour ago, h_d said:

The Inpainting Brush is destructive.

The Inpainting Brush can be use non-destructively

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.