You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Splitting and Merging RGB channels

I am a scientist and I have been using Photoshop for 8 years now to edit my images and make montages. I recently decided to use Affinity Photo and designer to make my images and I am really struggling with Affinity Photo as far as splitting and merging channels go. This was super easy in PS. You go to channels, split channel, delete channel or resign new colors to channel, merge channel and you are done. Then you copy this on a canvass. And if you want to show gray scale images of the RGB image, you just go to that channel, copy paste it (An example is shown below). I can't seem to find this option in Affinity Photo. There is this create spare channel option which lets you assign new profiles (change green to red or blue or delete a channel) but then you can't copy/paste this onto a canvas in designer! Is there a way to do this?

Here is what I want: Most of my images are in RGB. I may want to delete a channel or switch colors for channels. Merge them so I have a new RGB image. and then I want to show individual channels by themselves in grey scale (example of this is attached).

Fig.2.8_MMP1.psd

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it.

Select a Pixel object then right-click on the thumbnail of the required channel (not a Composite channel) and pick Create Greyscale Layer.

I have to flatten the document to get the pixel objects (the default seems to be background object). But this pixel object for each channel disappears as soon as I reduce noise or play with levels or delete a pixel object to get rid of a channel. Also, on the pixel object,  I can create the gray scale there but then then I can't process the image the further. The composite does not refresh and when I go on other channels, all I see is gray scale of the channel I just created irrespective of what pixel object or spare channel or composite you click. I have to undo the grey scale. Is that the only way? Also, I did figure out that you can create a spare channel to swap colors but once you do that the pixel object layers again disappear. Is there a specific sequence in which you have to process your image?

5 minutes ago, IRW said:

I have to flatten the document to get the pixel objects (the default seems to be background object).

Flattening should not be needed.

With a pixel object selected, you want the Pixel channels (Pixel Red, Green, Blue, Alpha). Those are for the selected object. The Composite is for the entire image.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 4/13/2019 at 5:53 PM, >|< said:

applying the Rasterise comman

Select the layer/object and click on Layer > Rasterise.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thank you John, Walt, and >|< for your comments. I tried to rasterize but it did not work. Attached is the type of image I work with. Perhaps you could try and let me know what I am missing. I selected the image (Ctrl A) and applied the rasterize command.

O2 63X C587ts PZ14444 X UAS Wnt4 Hts LamC1 r p-mad g 2 D stack 1.tif

Edited by IRW

You are right. I guess after I edit the image the way I want, I guess I need a pixel layer to copy paste into affinity designer. Otherwise it just says 'adjustment layer' in affinity designer.

Thank you for your help.

With the same image, once you create gray scale, does the image 'freeze' for you? i.e. you can't make any more changes unless you undo that command. I ask because in an RGB image, sometimes I need gray scale for Green and red. But if I convert the green to grey scale, I have to go back all the way till I undo that command and then convert the red into gray scale.