You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting images without margins (Designer)

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm sure what I want to do should be easy.

I have designed several unique playing cards (2.5" x 3.5"), sized to include bleed (2.74" x 3.74"). But when I export them as JPEG at 300dpi using Export Persona slices they also have a white margin making the image 3.47" x 4.47".

My document setup in Draw Persona is 'no margin'.

In Export Persona I can find no set up for margins.

How can I export images without a margin?

Many thanks for your comments. (I attach an example).

Artboard Zodiac Back.jpg

Do you have any images in the file that are clipped or beyond the bounds of the card?

Can you upload a file to look at?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi, no I mean the afdesign file or the afphoto file so we can have a look at how the card is made up in the layers panel. If you don't want to upload the af file a screen shot of the layers panel expanded would help.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Oh. No the file contains many cards designs and I don’t want to share it on the internet. My question is how do I get rid of the white border? I always get a white border on exports no matter what I am working on or what format I export. I am finding it to be a problem for professional printing through web sites.

I've done a bit of research into this and I find that my artboards are 822 x 1122 = 2.74" x 3.74" at 300dpi. However when I create a slice the artboard to be exported increases to 1040 x 1340 = 3.47" x 4.47".

I can manually resize the export blue boundary back to 822 x 1122 but that seems cumbersome for multiple cards. At that point I get an option to "auto resize" which then reverts back to 1040 x 1340.

I attach a print screen to show what I mean, with 'The Lovers' manually resized, and 'The Emperor' showing the default.

So what I'm missing is how to resize the print area on each artboard for the entire file as a default instead of having to do it manually.

Many thanks for any advice.

print screen.bmp

Without having original file we cannot really say what is wrong with it. At this stage I would guess your artwork is not the same size as your artboard. And margins have really nothing to do with the problem. Bleed on the other hand is one thing you should check.

I don’t have any bleed settings. The document set up has 0 bleed and there is no option under export format.

The only way I can solve this is to manually adjust the export boundary, but that will take time every time I edit my document, and I think the software must be more sophisticated than that. There must be a slice or export setting I am missing or can’t find. The change in dimensions occurs when I create a slice.

I appreciate the comments, so thanks for helping me and responding. 

I can understand you not wanting to provide all your card designs. But it is difficult to provide advice without seeing the actual file, not merely a picture of one part of it.

Perhaps you could make a copy of your .afdesign file, and remove the card images you haven't shown us, and give us that .afdesign file (with the slice defined as you want)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

For posting your file, you need to make a copy of your file, add and merge or delete the reconizable parts so we can look at the structure and your Export persona settings, so we can advise you to correct the original file and have the expected result.

Did you resized the cards after creating the slices in the export persona? The first slice seems ok, but the other ones take more than one card, and they have a larger size around the 2 cards in their area, that's why there's a white margin around.

You need to go to the "layers" tab of the export personna, select a card and click on "add/create slice" ( I'm on my phone, I can't check the exact name of the button), if you want slices the exact size of each card.

Or you can resize manually each of your slices, or entering values in the transform panel.

19 minutes ago, Merlin said:

OK, thanks. I attach an example in its most basic form.

Did you make your Artboard by changing a rounded rectangle to an artboard? I ask because if I move the art out of it and double click on the empty artboard I can use the corner radius to change the size of the corners.

1930278563_ScreenShot2019-04-13at8_48_17AM.thumb.png.d1fbcd8cb365cc5801bb9e57dcdc1ff7.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

There's something strange. If I create new artboards... I don't have those problems.

Same question as Bruce, since "rounded rectangle" appear on the slice information. Did you resized those rounded rectagle, and the slice don't take in acount their new size? (Seems like a bug).

I think when I first got the software I thought it would be a great idea to shape the art board like a playing card. But when it continued to export as a rectangle I abandoned that idea and probably dragged the corners out.

3 hours ago, >|< said:

The Artboard has a Layer Effect (fx) Outer Glow that is not indicated in the Layers panel and is not rendered, but it is being taken into account by the slice generator. Disable the fx and the slice export will not have the white border.

One or both of those sound like bugs that are worth reporting.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

40 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

One or both of those sound like bugs that are worth reporting.

The fx doesn't stick around in the beta so it may be fixed. Although I am not entirely sure of how the artboard was made out of a rounded rectangle either.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

The fx doesn't stick around in the beta so it may be fixed. Although I am not entirely sure of how the artboard was made out of a rounded rectangle either.

In the beta the fx is there but doesn't show up in the Layers panel. And it affects the export.

-- Walt
PC:

Sorry, I should have said that I tried to get the fx to stick in a new document, which was created in the beta. I don't know all the permutations involved to get the file/object into that state so I had to wing it.

I just want to thank you all!! It was the 'outer glow' that was causing the problem, and it would never ever have occurred to me.

The version of Designer I have is 1.6.5.123 if that helps at all.

Thank you for solving this problem for me. This will save me a ton of time.

33 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Sorry, I should have said that I tried to get the fx to stick in a new document, which was created in the beta. I don't know all the permutations involved to get the file/object into that state so I had to wing it.

It's still easy in the beta to create a new document, with an artboard, and apply an outer-glow layer fx to it. And it doesn't show in the Layers panel. It is accounted for in the Transform panel, but only in the Export Persona.

artboard-outer-glow.afdesign

-- Walt
PC: