olivierlafitte

Merge Down Layers in AF corrupts/blures image in some cases

This subject is being discussed in two other threads. But in each case, the discussion has shift towards peripheral considerations, leaving no chance for the initial question to be answered. I voluntarily put here no links to those threads in order to prevent readers to be parasitised by pheripherical and noisy considerations. 

What should be strictly discussed here : 

The "Merge Down Layers" (Ctrl+Shift+E) , a very common frequently used command, in some case (see details below) currently corrupts the image: contents of merged layers are blurred. 

Question: is there a good functional reason for this function to work so, knowing there's a simple way (doing a rasterization of the bottom layer before merging) to achieve the expected result : a merge that simply preserve the data of each layer ? Or is there currently an option to be activated to achieve in any case automatically the expected result ? 

Details :

• afphoto file attached to reproduce the bug
  • reproduced in : 1.6.5.135 and Beta on Windows 10 and 1.6.11 on macOS Sierra
  • reproduced with "Force Pixel Alignment" or "Floating point coordinates" options on and off:  those options are no way a solution to this problem.
  • a simple way to reproduced the bug with two pixel layers is to apply a transformation on the bottom layer before merging (note: by doing so, coordinates of the layer are no more integer ones)
  • a simple way to prevent it : rasterize the bottom layer before merging

For many users, the current behavior of the merge function is a fondamental problem (you can corrupt your work with one click if you're not aware). We would be glad to have an answer to the question above or the function to be fixed. Cos there is no technical limitation considering our use (it may not be elegant, but the merge function could simply process a rasterize operation before applying, which is the manual action required currently if you want to preserve the quality of your image).

1839930379_CorruptedMerge.thumb.png.c65bfe579880769ee9cc316da956ab06.png

PS: actually, there's a video that illustrates this tricky behavior here Demo . See the seventh post

12 minutes ago, olivierlafitte said:

PS: actually, there's a video that illustrates this tricky behavior here Demo . See the seventh post

Whatever happened to “This subject is being discussed in two other threads. But in each case, the discussion has shift towards peripheral considerations, leaving no chance for the initial question to be answered. I voluntarily put here no links to those threads”? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

4 hours ago, olivierlafitte said:

afphoto file attached to reproduce the bug

Where?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Where?

It’s attached to the OP in the other thread.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Yes, but we're not supposed to be referring to that :D

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.