You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some questions before I jump ship from Adobe

I am very intrigued by this software but I have a lot invested in my current version of  "that other" application. I can't or haven't been able to find answers to a couple of questions that will have me buying and learning this today.

I see a lot of things can be imported like my brushes, color swatches etc, but can I import my custom shapes, gradients, plugins (Alien Skin Eye Candy etc), styles, patterns, textures etc. You see where I'm going here.

If these cannot be imported I have a lot of work ahead of me to recreate this stuff, but maybe there are converters out there?

Basically will this application accept all the file type extensions that I can import into Adobe Photoshop or will I be almost starting from scratch?

• Staff

Hi Twitchin Kitten,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware only your brushes (provided they are.abr) can be imported into Affinity. You can use certain plugins but not all you can find a list of compatible plugins below. Unfortunately I don't think there are any converters that would do what you are looking for.

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/plugins-support/

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Remember that you an download the free trial of Affinity Photo which will work for ten days following your first use. You can try out your existing plugins to see if they work. In general, only 8bf plugins work, and only then if they conform properly to Adobe's specifications. But there are many that work perfectly.

Adobe actions and scripts will not work, but if you want a particuar action, then you might find that someone on this forum has written a macro that does the same job. (Then again you might not!)

Give it a try.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Remember when PS had that exchange? Does Affinity have something similar? I'm doing some digging around but things are so spread out... a little pointing in the right direction would be appreciated to no end.

I'll play with the trial when I have a full 10 days alone and in a row to dedicate to playing around. It's car show season and I show my car and my guy's band plays most shows and it gets a bit hectic until things slow down!

"Everyone" keeps telling me to go with GIMP but I'm not sold on it. Affinity is truly piquing my interest :)

• 1 month later...

Yep.   With Affinity Designer.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

10 minutes ago, Twitchin Kitten said:

Thank you. Just found Affinity Designer too... apparently it's Iillustrator's "replacement". So reasonably priced too. I may get both.

I goofed.  I should have stated Designer in the first place.  Now corrected.  The beauty of Photo and Designer is that you can move what you are working on back and forth between the two apps with the click of an icon.  We are waiting with eager anticipation for the release of Publisher on June 19, when we will most surely be able to flip back and forth using Publisher between all three!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9