You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Peter Kahrel wrote a nice little grep that applies a background colour to every second paragraph in a story.

see: https://indesignsecrets.com/adding-shading-to-alternate-paragraphs-with-grep-find-change.php?utm_source=CreativePro+Network+List&utm_campaign=2b69fc0643-InDesign_Secrets_Tip_of_the_Week_1_28_2016_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_98b7b678b4-2b69fc0643-262960537

I tried to reproduce this example in Publisher but unfortunately Publisher doesn't select the consecutive 2 paragraphs correctly and instead selects the whole text.

The grep in question is:

Find: \r.+\r\K.

Replace: Shaded Paragraph Style

Once this this bug is sorted out this grep will work as per the article above.

Of course one would need to define a Shaded Para Style for GREP to apply it to the selection.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 4/12/2019 at 8:44 AM, Seneca said:

I tried to reproduce this example in Publisher but unfortunately Publisher doesn't select the consecutive 2 paragraphs correctly and instead selects the whole text. 

That regex, as written, is incompatible with Publisher's regex implementation or engine, because "." will automatically match a new-line or a paragraph break (\r).

The regex needs to be
     \r.+?\r\K.
where the ? stops the ".+" from being a greedy match. Without the ? the regex matches (approximately) everything from the first \r to the last \r.

Edit: Or, alternatively, \r[^\r]+\r\K.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I'm away from the computer right now, but the decimal point should not include a new line.

It can match new-line, or not, depending on either options chosen by the user (and passed throug by the program) or options coded into the program that invokes the regex parser.

In Notepad++, for example, the program gives the user the option of how that aspect of regex parsing should work. Publisher does not give us that option, and seems to hard-code it as ". will match new-line". But there's a user-controllable way around that. By adding (?-s) at the start of the regex the user can reverse that behavior.

However, I suspect there is a bug, though I haven't figured out what it is. I've attached a .afpub file with some text.

A regex Find for either "\r[^\r]+\r\K."  (without the " marks) or "(?-s)\r.+\r\K." should give the same results, but it doesn't.

regex-dot-s.afpub

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Yes, NotePad++ has the switch for . matching a new line. A distinct switch one needs to turn on. In lieu of the switch, I believe the default behavior should not match a new line and should Serif desire to add the switch, then all is well and good.

And as far as that goes, one shouldn't need the . after the K. The cursor should just locate the appropriate start of the paragraph versus selecting the first character as with ID. I use the same expression in UltraEdit sans the . following the K frequently for inserting tagged text paragraph style tags where every other paragraph cycles between two p.styles.

fwiw, I see no difference here between:

\r.+?\r\K.
\r[^\r]+\r\K.
(?-s)\r.+\r\K.

All select the first character in every other paragraph.

Usually for reg exp a "." matches any single character except newline!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

31 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Yes, NotePad++ has the switch for . matching a new line. A distinct switch one needs to turn on. In lieu of the switch, I believe the default behavior should not match a new line and should Serif desire to add the switch, then all is well and good.

Either they could add the external switch (probably under the cog icon along with the other Find options) or they could simply require users to specify (?s) if the user wants the "." to match newline and paragraph break.

12 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Usually for reg exp a "." matches any single character except newline!

Yes, usually that's true.

-- Walt
PC:

35 minutes ago, MikeW said:

And as far as that goes, one shouldn't need the . after the K. The cursor should just locate the appropriate start of the paragraph versus selecting the first character as with ID. I use the same expression in UltraEdit sans the . following the K frequently for inserting tagged text paragraph style tags where every other paragraph cycles between two p.styles.

Yes, the behavior in Publisher is strange. Without the . the cursor is set, but it's set just before the visible paragraph break character. We could see in a prior beta (before Serif updated the results list to show the encoded characters rather than \n, etc.) that a paragraph break is a \n\r internally in the file. I suspect that the cursor is being set improperly, after the \n and before the \r:

image.png.8ea036edf206a9d856329fb44b91617c.png

-- Walt
PC:

I hate uncommon behavior, especially for something old school like reg expressions here. One should not deviate from the general standards, because that's just confusing. Either you program it to behave right or not at all. - Strange workarounds or other mismatch behavior etc. are a no go. 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

44 minutes ago, MikeW said:

fwiw, I see no difference here between:

\r.+?\r\K.
\r[^\r]+\r\K.
(?-s)\r.+\r\K.

All select the first character in every other paragraph.

For me, the first 2 give identical results. The 3rd selects only the Y at the start of the 5th paragraph.

(And now, somehow, I've managed to break Find completely. Neither normal nor regex searches find anything. After restarting Publisher, a normal Find worked, but none of those 3 regexes would work, and as soon as I tried them even a normal Find is broken.)

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.