You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filling CMYK image with colour

Bug or just an idiotic experiment which never happens in "real life"?

My setup: Placed CMYK image; colours = C0M100Y100K0, C0M0Y0K80, one spot colour

Step 1: Fill image with pre-defined 100% K from swatch. Colour of image changes to whatever Publisher calculates. Revert the action.

Step 2: Fill image with 80% K. Colour is completely different from the result of 100% K. Revert the action.

Step 3: Fill image right after another with the red, the spot colour and 80% K. Colour is different from step 2. What is Publisher doing here? Adding colours? I would expect, that once you change the fill, it is like setting the fill to None and then applying the other colour.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

How are you filling the image?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry, I was unclear. I didn't mean the source of the colors.

I meant: Exactly what steps are you taking when you say that you "fill the image". I can think of several ways of filling an image, and some of them would perhaps have the effect you have described.

Having a sample file with your image and swatches would also help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Will do so, but due to the pending Brexit a download of British software takes more than a hour, but probably I am just sitting only on a slow connection. :(

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

53 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

download of British software takes more than a hour

It's very slow here, too.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Still the same. But I can get it even more complicated. To eliminate error sources I added C0M0Y0K100 and C0M0Y0K0 to my palette.

Try 1: Filling the image from palette with 100% K or 80% K or White does seem to fit.

Try 2: Filling the image from palette with Red, HKS 7 and 80% K seems to add? / multiply? colours.

Try 3: What the fourletterword are the colours right to the palette dropdown in Swatches panel are meant for? The rectangle with the red line means "No colour", so far so obvious. The next three ones I strongly believed, that they represent 100% K, 50% K and White are ... what?

colour-mismatch.jpg

------

Thanks, I will test this. If it is so like you said, then in IMHO handling images in Publisher went the wrong way. I don't see the benefit (yet) handling / placing / manipulating images in two different ways.

------

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We believe this has been addressed in the latest (#371) beta build. Please retest this behaviour.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.