You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi do allot of design work and I am working really hard on making affinity designer my main design software on iPad 2018.

However, as I also use Adobe illustrator for printing. E.g. flyers etc.

I just need to know what is my image dpi or how to rasterize the image to correct dpi for press printing?

Thanks

• Staff

Hi SharkyAfsar,

Welcome to the forums :)

If you go to Document > Resize in the menu that appears at the bottom you will find your document DPI.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thanks Callum,

I have definitely learnt something new, however I was referring  to the image that I add to the flyer. As I scale them depening on the design. I also need to make sure the image is rasterized at 300 dpi. So there is no pixillation in the print.
So I just need to know the image DPI ? The other way is I save the file in pdf for press. Then open the file in illustrator ten check the image dpi.... 

Awaiting Reply.

• Staff
40 minutes ago, SharkyAfsar said:

Thanks Callum,

I have definitely learnt something new, however I was referring  to the image that I add to the flyer. As I scale them depening on the design. I also need to make sure the image is rasterized at 300 dpi. So there is no pixillation in the print.
So I just need to know the image DPI ? The other way is I save the file in pdf for press. Then open the file in illustrator ten check the image dpi.... 

Awaiting Reply.

Unfortunately there is no way to check placed image DPI in Affinity on iPad right now however this is something we are likely to add in the future :) 

C

Dude you know this creates a huge problem for me? Is there a way I can do that if I open the press ready pdf in Affinity Photo Ipad ?

So when the pdf file that I created in Affinity Desiner is opened in Affinity Photo ? I can prob check the DPI of the image or correct it and save PDF ?

Also any Idea when the next update on the Affinity designer would be ?

Thanks, Awaiting reply.

• Staff
46 minutes ago, SharkyAfsar said:

Also any Idea when the next update on the Affinity designer would be ?

I would expect us to have an Affinity Designer iPad update (with most/all of the 1.7 new features) around the same time as desktop releases or shortly after. We can see your use case is a sensible one but I cannot say when this feature will be available on iPad, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi, so does this mean the desktop version of at of the Affinity programs can also not show the dpi of the image and rasterise them too 300 DPI ? Because I don’t mind buy the desktop version if it means I wil use the iPad and the windows PC to complete my work ?

Guys I have found the Tutorial in Affinity Photo that supports resizing images in the DPI value you put in e.g. 300 DPI.
https://vimeo.com/130979953

I believe this solved my issue but Please can you guys confirm if it is...

Again I just want to make sure the images that I use to create a flyer in Affinity Designer meets the press quality standard for it to print correctly. 

E.g. 300 DPI = I do not mind buying Affinity Photo to resize my images to add them to the design file in Affinity Designer.

Awaiting Reply.

I'm not sure why resizing images should be needed. There are export settings (on the desktop versions, at least) for rasterizing images in a PDF to a certain DPI.

Wouldn't it work to simply use those?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt.Farrell that is what I am looking for a solution for when I create a design file in Affinity Design.

Document settings Press Quality and 300 DPI. 

Then After I have completed my design, I save the file into a pdf then be able to rasterize the image in the design to 300 dpi in any Affinity program. 

So I can send to print.

Please also let me know in regards to the video I sent if that is also a solution

However, As I do most of my designing on Ipad I would prefer but not limited to have the solution on Ipad.

I do have windows Surface Pro and Graphic Tablets...

Awaiting Reply.

• Staff
On 4/12/2019 at 10:58 AM, Callum said:

Hi SharkyAfsar,

Welcome to the forums :)

If you go to Document > Resize in the menu that appears at the bottom you will find your document DPI.

Thanks

Callum

Hi Sharkyasfar,

It seems as though I got my wires crossed and thought you were referring to placed images within your document. The steps I mentioned in my quoted post should do what you are looking for.

Thanks

Callum

Callum you was correct that I was referring to the images placed in the document. However since Affinity is not able to do that ... we are now looking at other ways of acheiving that. 

So now I am simply trying to increase the dpi of an image in Affinity Photo.

E.g. Copy image from Affinity Designer, paste in Affinity Photo change the dpi save image.

Then again Copy paste the image or place the saved image file into Affinity Designer actual design file.

Please confirm if this will fix my issue on iPad please ?

I feel this is acheivable due to the resizing options in this vimeo video. 

please guys give an elaborated answer.

Thank you 

Awaiting reply.

If your concern is an embedded file in a .afdesign document that you are exporting to a PDF file, then I still think that the export options provided (at least in the Affinity desktop applications) would take care of your needs. (But, I am not an expert, and have no way of examining PDF files in enough detail to be certain.)

The PDF export options include the following, which I think should satisfy your needs:
image.png.3647141045396b2930651fb7b830b3ce.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys guess what? down sampling only works on images that are high in resolution.

So it work. But the Major issue is! that no one has been able to pin point is how to increase the low resolution dpi images to high e.g. 72 dpi image to 300dpi on say an A5 flyer.

I have purchased Affinity Phot because I saw the option on how to increase the dpi of the image without resizing it on-this video but I can not find the same options on the iPad any help ?

So the problem remains the same of being able to increase the image dpi in Affinity Design 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

That does really help thank you very much. Awesome.

Now I still would like to request humble suggestions for doing the same thing when saving a pdf in affinity designer.... I wonder if downsampling would for where you say anything lower than 20 dpi change it to 300 dpi rather than change anything above 450 dpi ?