You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Process color with Designer and PDF issues

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I create a document in CYMK. I want the type to be 100% black (not a 4-color build). I also do the same for any drop shadows. Now to hand off the project to my printer as a PDF (for print). Unfortunately when I bring the PDF into Acrobat and check separations the type and drop shadows are now a 4-color build not the 100% black I made it. Either I am doing something wrong or there is a bug in Designer.

Any ideas on this one?

V_kyr - thanks for your reply. I do understand the difference between True black and Rich black. In my case I did set the type to 100% black, C, M, Y at 0%. When I bring the PDF file into Acrobat and check separations - only when the profile is set to Generic CMYK does it show the black at 100%, and CMY at 0%. If I change the profile to, for example, Web coated black is a combination of CMYK. Illustrator does not do that. I’m trying to understand why the values are changing. I know the printer will apply their own profile.

James

Did you used/embbeded that same profile and even then get shifted/different color values?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

V_kyr - thanks for all your help but I solved the issue. Usually when you give a PDF off to a printer (offset or digital) they will add their own profile. What I needed to do was not use a preset (I’ll create my own) and uncheck to “embed profile”. I also unchecked honor spot colors (since I had none) and over print black as I wanted black type at 100% so it would knock out underneath. That work perfectly. If you are handing off the Affinity Designer file (or any Affinity file or folder (Publisher) you can leave a profile. The printer then can change or use the one you selected. I.e. Uncoated sheetfed, etc.

Anyway, problem solved. I was just use to using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and in the very early days Pagemaker and Quark!!!

Thanks again.

James