You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi MichaelPreiner2018 and Welcome to the Forums,

I've tried that EPS file in the release build of Designer and also the beta, all resulted in the same error as yourself.  I also tried another app Graphic and got the same error.  Only program i found that could open it is Illustrator.  I'll attached the exported EPS file from Illustrator which does open in Designer, so you'll be able to get started on the project.

I'll need to log the original EPS file with the Dev team to see what the issue is.

EVA_logo_farbe (1).eps

Well no wonder it can't be parsed, it's a PDF 1.5 file and not an EPS file. Just change it's extension from EPS to PDF and then retry opening it in AD etc.

a_pdf_file.jpg.7d53ada14715ce7539e14a389882551f.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Don't know how the software internally treats and parses file formats in detail, but in this case here it seems it's only determining things via the file extension.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

55 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well no wonder it can't be parsed, it's a PDF 1.5 file and not an EPS file. Just change it's extension from EPS to PDF and then retry opening it in AD etc.

I give up. How did you figure that out?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Don't know how the software internally treats and parses file formats in detail, but in this case here it seems it's only determining things via the file extension.

How odd... I'll update the report i've made.

As @R C-R has said, how did you figure that out?  Would be handy info to know going forward that's all :) 

Let's quickly add some common hints here for such real file type identification cases. In this specific case here it's easy, since EPS files can usually be opened and inspected in plain text editors (no hex editor is needed therefor) and this EPS files signature clearly states here that it isn't an EPS file and instead a common PDF file.

However there are situations where files might be available in binary format instead, without or with a wrong file format extension, which then might puzzle certain software due to not be able to recognize the true file format type. In such cases tools like TrID are useful.

• TrID  (The command line version for Windows and Linux) 

• TrIDNet  (The .NET Framework based GUI version)

• Online TrID  (Here you can upload files for type recognition)

• TrIDScan (Python script that creates new file type definitions for the TrID database)

Now let's check that EPS file via the Online version of TrID and see if that confirms our findings ...

filetype.jpg.279b2651d8191a28896b34d7170003a2.jpg

Yes it tells what we already did know, but now you can be more sure.

1 minute ago, stokerg said:

How odd... I'll update the report i've made.

As @R C-R has said, how did you figure that out?  Would be handy info to know going forward that's all :) 

Any EPS that has been saved with a PDF portion can open if the EPS extension is swapped with PDF. This has also applies to any AI file that has been saved with PDF compatibility. We've done that for years with the Plus line.

BTW, that original file opens in EVERYTHING I use from 2012's last version of MS Expression Design to Xara products, PL, CD (all versions installed), even PagePlus. They all can get at the PDF portion.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Let's quickly add some common hints here for such real file type identification cases. In this specific case here it's easy, since EPS files can usually be opened and inspected in plain text editors (no hex editor is needed therefor) and this EPS files signature clearly states here that it isn't an EPS file and instead a common PDF file.

However there are situations where files might be available in binary format instead, without or with a wrong file format extension, which then might puzzle certain software due to not be able to recognize the true file format type. In such cases tools like TrID are useful.

• TrID  (The command line version for Windows and Linux) 

• TrIDNet  (The .NET Framework based GUI version)

• Online TrID  (Here you can upload files for type recognition)

• TrIDScan (Python script that creates new file type definitions for the TrID database)

Now let's check that EPS file via the Online version of TrID and see if that confirms our findings ...

filetype.jpg.279b2651d8191a28896b34d7170003a2.jpg

Yes it tells what we already did know, but now you can be more sure.

Great post @v_kyr I'm sure this will not only help myself but also other users who encounter the same problem :) 

2 minutes ago, MikeW said:

That EPS has a PDF stream in it and can be seen if the file is opened in say a text editor.

capture-002684.png.1f28adf5bd1069445254a5e731c8b25f.png

Yes as said EPS is usually an editable format, worked with that in editors and interpreters a lot in the past (greetings from NeXTstep/OpenStep where everything was DisplayPS and EPS).

On Linux there's also the "file" command which will provide details about a specific file. For that EPS file it says it's a PDF Document, version 1.5. That command might also exist on Mac, in the Terminal.

The command is also available in the Bash shell on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

BTW, that original file opens in EVERYTHING I use from 2012's last version of MS Expression Design to Xara products, PL, CD (all versions installed), even PagePlus. They all can get at the PDF portion.

FWIW, I only have a few Mac apps that open eps files & NONE of them would open the file when it had the eps extension. Neither would the Mac Quick Look feature nor would Finder views show anything besides a blank generic document icon.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, I only have a few Mac apps that open eps files & NONE of them would open the file when it had the eps extension. Neither would the Mac Quick Look feature nor would Finder views show anything besides a blank generic document icon.

That's the results i got, i could only open the EPS file in AI.  Tried a few apps and all failed, but at least i've got A LOT more information to update the log with.  Thanks to everyone in this thread :)

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

On Linux there's also the "file" command which will provide details about a specific file. For that EPS file it says it's a PDF Document, version 1.5. That command might also exist on Mac, in the Terminal.

The command is also available in the Bash shell on Windows.

Did you tried out and approved with a Unix tool like "whatis"?

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Don't know what to say, R C-R.

Photoline has a Mac version. It opens it.

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes most will fail here on Macs, though I think GC might be that clever to recognize and probably can show up this file.

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It does exist on Macs & it works, telling me the EVA_logo_farbe.eps is a PDF document, version 1.5. :)

Affinity Photo 

9 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Yes most will fail here on Macs, though I think GC might be that clever to recognize and probably can show up this file.

When I try to open the file with GC 9, I get this:
1429715142_GC8PDFimport.jpg.d9b530b19ed74206a37ebfe63721025d.jpg

So it does recognize that it has PDF content & it will open it. But it opens as a 'flat' raster image so it can't be exported from that app to any format that preserves the vector info.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Did you tried out and approved with a Unix tool like "whatis"?

"whatis" doesn't provide any information about that file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

So it does recognize that it has PDF content & it will open it. But it opens as a 'flat' raster image so it can't be exported from that app to any format that preserves the vector info.

Seems it treats PDF files more like that on export, I recall a similar behaviour from other PDF files I once opened with GC. Though I also only used then that now older GC9 version. - Ok I've looked at the GC site and there under supported formats they write for PDF import/export ...

7) requires Mac OS X 10.1 or later; exports only raster PDFs

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

"whatis" doesn't provide any information about that file.

Yes it's not the appropriate tool for such things, the one you mentioned above ("file") is the one mainly suited for determining file types and a default one on Unix systems instead.