You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi!
I've got some issue with Patch Tool. When I'm using it, my photo in the place I choose to replace, becomes blurry. It looks so if I was changing the transparent settings to low, but that's not true. I have no idea what I could do with this problem. Have any one of you got issue like this one?

patchtool.thumb.jpg.4e45971ffd055f3c4374837a01f621f5.jpg

• Staff

Hi mixxone,

Welcome to the forums :)

I've tried to replicate this and unfortunately I cannot currently, could you please let me know your step by step workflow, or provide a screen recording showing this?

I've created a quick recording of me developing an image and using the tool, do you take different steps than myself?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

What are you actually trying to do in the image?

By the look of it the patch tool is trying to blend skin tones in with the black of the frame and making that blurry mess. Patching has to be similar to the underlying patch so patching say the forehead with another part of the forehead would work but trying to patch the skin over the glasses frame will get you the result you see.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Obviously the OP want's to remove the green reflection in the glases. This can be better applied with some of the the other repair tools and especially the clone tool here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

It is possible with a bit of patience and know how.

This is a crude attempt and was taken as a screen capture from your video - so the resolution isn't that great. As a rule. the better the resolution, the better the outcome.

This took me about 5 minutes to do, but if it was a serious project of mine then I would have took much longer to produce a better result; this is just to show that it can be done.

c1.jpg

Capture.JPG

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

The Patch Tool is not suitable for what you are trying to do. Patching blends the pixels of the source area with those of your target sample, so the blur you're experiencing is kind of expected. This means that the Patch Tool works perfectly in the examples you provided. It's just that it can't do what you want. For example, to remove the hand from your second image, a much better approch would be using the Inpainting and Clone Brush Tool in conjunction. Patching might work with your first image as @AffinityJules has demonstrated, but you need to make sure that you don't select parts of the eyeglass frame. Also, as others have pointed out, you may be better off using other techniques for removing the reflection.

The patch tool doesn't work the way you intend or hope it to.

I would try a different tool - depending on what result you're after.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

6 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

The Patch Tool is not suitable for what you are trying to do. Patching blends the pixels of the source area with those of your target sample, so the blur you're experiencing is kind of expected. This means that the Patch Tool works perfectly in the examples you provided. It's just that it can't do what you want. For example, to remove the hand from your second image, a much better approch would be using the Inpainting and Clone Brush Tool in conjunction. Patching might work with your first image as @AffinityJules has demonstrated, but you need to make sure that you don't select parts of the eyeglass frame. Also, as others have pointed out, you may be better off using other techniques for removing the reflection.

I forgot to mention that the result I got was with several tools and not entirely with the patch tool.

58 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

Its a quote from musician Frank Zappa, who also said "There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

@AffinityJules can you please show me step by step how you achieved this? I've tried to use Patch Tool without selecting glasses frame, but it gave me same effect as you can see on my first post. Sorry, I do not have too much experience in Affinity Photo.

13 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

It is possible with a bit of patience and know how.

This is a crude attempt and was taken as a screen capture from your video - so the resolution isn't that great. As a rule. the better the resolution, the better the outcome.

This took me about 5 minutes to do, but if it was a serious project of mine then I would have took much longer to produce a better result; this is just to show that it can be done.

c1.jpg

Edited by mixxone
fixed mention

27 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Oh I know, and good for you in spotting that.

Frank is/was one of my guitar heroes and musician in general.

24 minutes ago, mixxone said:

@AffinityJules can you please show me step by step how you achieved this? I've tried to use Patch Tool without selecting glasses frame, but it gave me same effect as you can see on my first post. Sorry, I do not have too much experience in Affinity Photo.

Easier said than done - especially if you're a new user with little experience, and it sounds as if you are. But anyway. It's complicated to explain in writing.

I didn't get this result from using the patch tool alone, I don't think it's possible but I might be wrong. I can't show you any videos of my work simply because I don't have the necessary equipment with which to do so, but I will outline what I did with your photograph to remove the light reflection. I might as well add that there exists many avenues when using tools to achieve the same or very similar results as the one I got. What I did was just one method of many.

1. Open image and create a new Pixel Layer: using a new layer isn't destructive in the sense that any modification you make is not being directly applied to the original image.

2. Select the Clone Brush Tool, and at the top of the screen where all the adjustments are listed click on Current Layer and change it to Current Layer & Below. This will mean that the source layer is the photo and the destination layer is the new pixel layer.

3. Set the opacity at 40-50% (for now) and set the Hardness to zero% = soft brush.

4. Reduce the brush size to fit between the frame of the glasses and the girl's eye (just left of her eye). Alt + Click to select the source. Begin cloning to the left and remove the glare to the left of her eye - it will look a little odd but you have to start somewhere. Do the same for the eyelid.

5. Use the Free Hand Selection Tool and take a skin sample between the glasses frame and the shadow right underneath her eye. In the Edit panel click Copy, then Paste (there are short cuts for these operations but I never get used to using them), this will copy your selection as a new layer. Move this layer to cover the remaining light glare - so adjust as necessary - height/width/size, etc. 

6. With the eraser (set to soft) remove any leakage that has covered the glasses frame and frame shadow until it looks natural - or near enough!

7. At this stage I introduced a Brightness / Contrast layer adjustment to both pixel layers and altered the Brightness ONLY to match the skin tones; you won't have to alter it too much - just a tad to bring it level with the original image.

8. Because I knew what I wanted to do, my next step was to Flatten the document therefore making all three images as one picture. If you want to, you can make copies of all three layers just in case you damage something by mistake.

9. At this point I had a pretty good skin match, but very little definition - especially to the right of her eye. I used the Inpainting tool here and there just to nudge little points of skin to how I wanted them.

10. Make a new pixel layer and set it the same as you did the others (Current Layer & Below).

11. Use the Clone Brush at a very low opacity 10-15% and begin blending the skin above her eye to make it appear smooth and natural looking

12. Use the Clone Brush at a higher opacity 70-80% and clone in the shadows or darker lines surrounding her eye, etc... Use a small brush size.

13. By now I had the result I set out to do - all the light reflections had gone and her eye and surrounding skin was looking ok, but because cloning with a soft brush can cause image blurring or over smoothness the noise in the picture and my alterations did not match.

14. I flattened the document again and using the Free Hand Selection Tool I select around my modified areas and with the Noise Filter added some noise to match the original image.

15. Finished image, although sounding like a lengthy process, took me about 5 minutes to do.

Practice makes perfect. Get used to using these tools and how best to use them.