You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keeping Layer Properties When Merging

Here's a question I have to ask because I can't figure out the answer.

When one uses the "merge selected" command on chosen layers how do you preserve the opacity of a layer that differs in the sense that it's opacity is lower?

When I merge these layers (rasterised) the one with the lower opacity jumps up to 100% again. Is there a method with which I can preserve all layer properties when merging?

Many thanks;

Jules. 

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

• Staff

Hi AffinityJules,

I'm struggling to recreate this issue so I'm not sure if I understand it correctly. If possible could you provide a quick screen recording of this?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum, and thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I have no means with which to upload screen recordings.

The issue is one I have always had so I'm not sure if it's "normal."

Basically, and for argument's sake, let's say we have 10 layers, 9 of these layers have an opacity of 100%. The 10th layer has an opacity of 70%. I wish to merge all these layers as one by using the "merge selected" command. This I do but that 10th layer's opacity has risen to 100%. I know this because the image layer is louder, more visually profound and not at the set opacity before it was merged.

I hope this explains it better.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

V 4.jpg

You forgot to mention that the 70% opacity layer has a blend mode of soft light

That does appear to affect the Merge Selected results

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just now, carl123 said:

You forgot to mention that the 70% opacity layer has a blend mode of soft light

That does appear to affect the Merge Selected results

Oh. . .is that important?

Not that tech savvy over here I didn't think it would make a difference to the result.

Just now, AffinityJules said:

Oh. . .is that important?

Not that tech savvy over here I didn't think it would make a difference to the result.

Whether it should or not I don't know. (might well be a bug?)

But it does when I test it.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 minutes ago, JeffrySG said:

If needed you could merge those layers AND include the background blend and it will work. But you won't be able to move them around or adjust. I would just keep them separate.

So how would I merge them to keep the appearance and value of the "before" image?

If you needed to do that I would make a copy of that group and make a copy of the orange blend background so you have them if needed. Turn off those copied layers so you don't see them.

Then select the all the tower layers and also the orange blend background that are visible and merge selected on all of those.

So far I have had no reply. I'll try again. I am trying to produce a professional book, and am finding both the program and the response inadequate.

How is it possible for an "advanced" graphics program to fail to merge Layers ? This  TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. Even the wretched Elements allows it. Please, Serif, Give Us the Answer or release an urgent Fix!

When I create a layer (in this case, of a line drawing) and embolden this as a Multiply layer, every possible way of merging or flattening the upper adaptation destroys the upper layer and saves or exports the image unchanged, as things started. So opening Curves unavoidably creates an upper layer that CANNOT BE SAVED. Rasterising either or both the bottom and top layer makes no difference. Adding a blank layer in between before merging fails to work either. This looks like a BUG that renders the program useless. A solution is urgently required please.
(Affinity Photo  1.6.11.)

9 minutes ago, JeffrySG said:

If you needed to do that I would make a copy of that group and make a copy of the orange blend background so you have them if needed. Turn off those copied layers so you don't see them.

Then select the all the tower layers and also the orange blend background that are visible and merge selected on all of those.

Ah. . .got there in the end.

I removed the layer with the "soft light" then merged the other two layers - it went as expected. I then brought the soft light layer back in and everything is now fine.

Thanks for your suggestion - I really needed to merge those three layers because the next step for those towers is rather tricky and it will be a lot easier now that they are merged.

Thanks again.

8 minutes ago, GHS said:

So far I have had no reply. I'll try again. I am trying to produce a professional book, and am finding both the program and the response inadequate.

How is it possible for an "advanced" graphics program to fail to merge Layers ? This  TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. Even the wretched Elements allows it. Please, Serif, Give Us the Answer or release an urgent Fix!

When I create a layer (in this case, of a line drawing) and embolden this as a Multiply layer, every possible way of merging or flattening the upper adaptation destroys the upper layer and saves or exports the image unchanged, as things started. So opening Curves unavoidably creates an upper layer that CANNOT BE SAVED. Rasterising either or both the bottom and top layer makes no difference. Adding a blank layer in between before merging fails to work either. This looks like a BUG that renders the program useless. A solution is urgently required please.
(Affinity Photo  1.6.11.)

Are you sure you have posted in the relevant forum?

2 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

Ah. . .got there in the end.

I removed the layer with the "soft light" then merged the other two layers - it went as expected. I then brought the soft light layer back in and everything is now fine.

Thanks for your suggestion - I really needed to merge those three layers because the next step for those towers is rather tricky and it will be a lot easier now that they are merged.

Thanks again.

Glad it worked out! I usually like to keep copies of the unmerged layers just in case I need to go back to them for any reason. Good luck!

@GHS

I can see you have (now) posted your problem 3 times but always in other peoples threads.  The problem with that is that your issue can go unnoticed if people are trying to help the original poster in those threads.

You should create a new topic, then people will be able to respond specifically to you about your problem.

PS You might want to include a sample Affinity file that demonstrates the problem when creating your new topic

"Are you sure you have posted in the relevant forum?"
If this is a reply I am afraid even that is not clear. The 'Search'  button takes one around in convoluted circles, and I cannot find where to post a question (that may well have been posed before) to find a simple answer. Still waiting...

I can confirm that Merge selected at least does not keep appearance when there is transparency in layers. Seems that merged pixel layer adopts lowest layer transparency. Turning transparency then to full opacity returns appearance, and it seems that parts that are supposedly transparent are again rightly transparent (without masks or anything...). This seems a bug and requires workarounds at the moment.

@GHS

I think they were recommending you going to this page:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-mac-and-windows/

And click on the START NEW TOPIC button so you can ask your question in a new thread so you might be able to get the help you need. It's hard for people to help you when your question is buried inside someone else's questions.

1 minute ago, Fixx said:

I can confirm that Merge selected at least does not keep appearance when there is transparency in layers. Seems that merged pixel layer adopts lowest layer transparency. Turning transparency then to full opacity returns appearance, and it seems that parts that are supposedly transparent are again rightly transparent (without masks or anything...). This seems a bug and requires workarounds at the moment.

I found a way in the end. All is fine.

36 minutes ago, JeffrySG said:

@GHS

I think they were recommending you going to this page:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-mac-and-windows/

And click on the START NEW TOPIC button so you can ask your question in a new thread so you might be able to get the help you need. It's hard for people to help you when your question is buried inside someone else's questions.

You can also use the "+ Create" menu at the top of the page to start a new topic.

It is also perhaps worth considering that posting something to an existing topic that isn't closely related to it may be seen as threadjacking, a practice some users find objectionable & as a result ignore it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7