You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to link text frames?

In a book chapter I'm making some changes to leading etc, but am having to change every text frame individually as I cannot see how to apply the changes to all linked text frames. I have highlighted all text but still the frames are being treated as unlinked.

How would I link them in order to 'bulk' edit?

The best way would be to use paragraph styles, and then just change the settings of the style(s) that you need to modify. Everything then changes automatically.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The best way would be to use paragraph styles, and then just change the settings of the style(s) that you need to modify. Everything then changes automatically.

How would I do this when creating a footer style?

I can't seem to get it this to apply to all pages in the book.

8 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

How would I do this when creating a footer style?

I can't seem to get it this to apply to all pages in the book.

For something that specific, it's even simpler. You start with a Master Page that defines the footer area as a Text Frame, and you set the style for that Text Frame. Then you apply that Master to all your document pages, and simply put the relevant text into the frame on each document page, and it's automatically styled based on what you specified in the Master Page. If you need to make a style change later, you just change it on the Master Page and all the document pages you've applied it to will also change.

But to use styles, you format some text as you want it, create a Text Style from that text and make it a Paragraph Style, then select that Paragraph Style from the Context Toolbar when you're creating the actual paragraph text.

The key is planning, before creating the actual text :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

For something that specific, it's even simpler. You start with a Master Page that defines the footer area as a Text Frame, and you set the style for that Text Frame. Then you apply that Master to all your document pages, and simply put the relevant text into the frame on each document page, and it's automatically styled based on what you specified in the Master Page. If you need to make a style change later, you just change it on the Master Page and all the document pages you've applied it to will also change.

But to use styles, you format some text as you want it, create a Text Style from that text and make it a Paragraph Style, then select that Paragraph Style from the Context Toolbar when you're creating the actual paragraph text.

The key is planning, before creating the actual text :)

This is gold Walt, thanks. As a visual learner I would follow this better in a video. I'm new to AP obviously, and learning a lot. In future all this would be way easier and quicker if I can apply the strategy you outline. 

I don't know if you make videos, but this would be a great one to make available.

Thanks. I don't make videos. Some of the official Publisher video tutorials might address aspects of this, and I'm sure that there will be Publisher tutorials either by Serif or others eventually that show it. The problem for anyone trying Publisher tutorial videos at the moment is that it's still in beta, and changing often enough that a tutorial might become incorrect.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. I don't make videos. Some of the official Publisher video tutorials might address aspects of this, and I'm sure that there will be Publisher tutorials either by Serif or others eventually that show it. The problem for anyone trying Publisher tutorial videos at the moment is that it's still in beta, and changing often enough that a tutorial might become incorrect.

Very true. I am highlighting the main issues I'm struggling with so that they might consider doing a tutorial on those features. 

But so far, it's a world away from the horrors of trying to do all this in Word. Somehow I managed eight books that way ...