Alex_M

[Aph] Develop persona crushes colors

I noticed that the Develop Persona in Affinity Photo crushes colors of RAW files. Whatever I tried in Develop Persona, nothing could fix the crushed color. This happens both in the latest official release and the latest beta. Please check the image below. This was taken with my Nikon D5000 DSLR, but exactly the same happens with my mirrorless Panasonic G7 too. I tested the RAW files with the latest version of Photoshop Camera Raw too and it doesn't crush the colors like Affinity Photo. Is the problem on my side or is it a bug in Affinity Photo?

Please check the image below. Original JPG is the JPG taken alongside the RAW by the camera. I shot the image with the RAW+JPG option.

develop_persona_problem.jpg

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 for Windows Windows 10 x64 1803  CPU AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.9 Ghz  RAM 32 GB GPU GTX 1080 ti 11GB NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB

5 hours ago, Alex_M said:

I tested the RAW files with the latest version of Photoshop Camera Raw too and it doesn't crush the colors like Affinity Photo. Is the problem on my side or is it a bug in Affinity Photo?

Well if every other RAW processing software handles colors right, it's obvious whose mistake it is, as far as you didn't tweaked default settings into this direction.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.0 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.0 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Hi, @Dan C

Thanks for looking into this. More info below.

1. Windows 10 x64 Pro, version 1809 (OS Build 17763.437) + Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123. The same problem happens with Beta 1.7.0.284.

2. I haven't changed a thing in any of the editors. No corrections were applied to the images after loading them in Affinity Photo and Photoshop Camera Raw and I can't salvage the crushed colors in Affinity Photo no matter what I do.

I've just sent you the original NEF file on that Dropbox link as well as the original untouched JPEG as processed by the camera, taken along with the NEF. Don't mind the dates on the pictures. I changed camera batteries and didn't bother to set date and hour.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 for Windows Windows 10 x64 1803  CPU AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.9 Ghz  RAM 32 GB GPU GTX 1080 ti 11GB NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB

Thanks for that, I appreciate the info provided :) 

I can see this has been reported previously against the Canon 80D where similar blue tones were being incorrectly over-saturated resulting in the purple/white area of the image, visually similar to your report. I've updated this bug report with your image and will continue to investigate this, thanks for your patience here!