You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

May I use Affinity license on my new comp?

11 hours ago, GregP said:

So this is a one time fee including updates per platform? 

Yes, for all updates in version 1.x. But if Serif ever decides to release version 2 there would be a new fee.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But if Serif ever decides to release version 2 there would be a new fee.

Only if you wanted the new features in version 2. Version 1 would still be covered by your existing licence, and it wouldn’t stop working unless OS changes broke something.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, for all updates in version 1.x. But if Serif ever decides to release version 2 there would be a new fee.

Thanks for the reply.

Some are one time. Others are by version. JRiver Media Center is by version, which they change every 10 months and the changes are minor. They stop all work or updates for the previous version but offer a 'special price' for the upgrade. AVS is one time, Bought it 10 years ago. NIK Collection (plugins for Photoshop) was one time but they changed hands twice. Charged $400 US or so initially. Three months later they sold to Google. Google charged $149 US and were kind enough to refund the difference. Months in, they gave it away for free. Now owned by DxO and they charge $60 US to upgrade, minor changes. DxO also has a free 30 day trial but their Photolab software, $130 Euros. 

Have you used Photoshop? Anything you miss? I have Design & Web Premium CS6 (dated but usable) and subscribe to the Photographer's package (Photoshop & Lightroom) originally for $10 US A month but with the Canadian Dollar in the tank, it is pushing $15 Cdn now. I've loaded my NIK Collection plugins yesterday into the Affinity trial.