You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Based on v1.6.1 - for topics I ifound in the forum I just added a "like", but I did not exactly find the following:

• Graphic Styles: These are not styles in the usual sense at all, they are just shortcuts to assign certain attributes. I need styles that are attached to the object so that editing a style changes all objects with that style – in other words, styles that work as styles do in almost all other applications. I am omitting other minor quibbles I have with them … AD styles are no use unless their principal behavious changes.
  • Select all objects with the same graphic attributes. (This would be a workaround if the previous is not coming - but also a great help to assign "real" styles or to navigate complex objects.)
  • Real text wrap around objects. The announced ability to edit text frames is, at best, a workaround for this request.
  • IMHO artboards should be independent of layers – currently they seem just to be layers with a special export capability. In AI I use layers primarily to collect similar objects, either to switch visibility on or off across all artboards or to enforce a Z-axis hierachy (for example, all text should come on top of all art, and all art on top of the background), again across all artboards. This does not work with AD's current implementation of artboards, as I would need to replicate the same layer structure below each artboard. And tthe last thing I need are more layer levels – I usually have thousands of objects in my designs, and to rely on the layer panel to organize them quickly becomes tedious.
  • I would greatly prefer to have a searchable, in-depth manual (i. e. PDF). The printed manual is out of date (in fact I was a bit surprised that such a book really existed – I like books, but they are hopeless for a software that is still very much under development), and most of the help pages/videos I used were built after the motto "explain the obvious and omit the rest". Which is probably good for beginners, but someone with a bit of experience needs something much better.

Some of my requests fall into a similar problem category, all too common also in other apps: The functions to create things are great, but the functions to change them at best mediocre. It may just be my problem, but the vastly greater part of my work are in fact changes – either because I made a mistake or did not think things through, but mostly because customers change their mind.

Unfortunately, the problems listed here are quite sufficient to make professional use of AD as a AI replacement next to impossible. Don't get me wrong: I am prepared to change the way I work when I switch applications, but for the problems mentioned I see no real alternative.

On 4/9/2019 at 2:40 PM, Lutz Pietschker said:
  • Graphic Styles: These are not styles in the usual sense at all, they are just shortcuts to assign certain attributes. I need styles that are attached to the object so that editing a style changes all objects with that style – in other words, styles that work as styles do in almost all other applications. I am omitting other minor quibbles I have with them … AD styles are no use unless their principal behavious changes.

+1

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.