You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I can't crop.  I have tried for hours.

If I select the crop tool and try to draw the crop I want if moves the whole image.

Following a tutorial had me copy the background, draw a rectangle over the area I want to crop then drag that layer over the copied layer. Fine so far.

image.thumb.png.25146b5c6edf51c11eaea06e1d41094c.png

then drag the shape over the copied background

image.png.c8167a80d87a59f363de4e969959cd56.png

OK But then it said " Turn off the original image (background) by unchecking the box. you will then be left with the shape you cropped out. "

Nope, nothing happens image.thumb.png.30b69299a30a81c940b2e08ae5558840.png

I will learn this app eventually but I only have so much time - I have the official book but "crop" isn't even in the index. I guess I have done something wrong but this really needs to be easier if its to replace apps lik e Corel Draw which I still go back to because of this kind of PITA. I want to learn but the obvious just doesnt work and neither does the more proper way advocated by this tutorial

Your screenshots show the rectangle in the clipping/nesting position instead of the cropping/masking position. If you look carefully at the screenshots in the Design Bundles tutorial, you’ll see that the polygon thumbnail is farther to the right and includes a ‘crop’ icon.

To crop to a shape, drag the shape in the Layers panel and drop it onto the thumbnail of the target layer. You should see a vertical blue bar at the right-hand edge of the thumbnail as you do this.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred yes thats it. The tutorial didnt specify the "icon". I can do that now. and I can crop now I see the handles.

Now I want to cut off a corner of the rectangle I have cropped.  In Corel Id start with the original and just draw the shape to crop by just editing the nodes. I tried starting with a polygon but couldnt get it to be anything bui a polygon whereas I have a rectangle. So new from clipboard and then drawing a triangle that this ti;e I want to remove.

How do I remove the corner - or perhaps I should have started from somewhere else?

image.thumb.png.ae1e65fe37a08cb934da9cd22e13eee1.png

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bell said:

Now I want to cut off a corner of the rectangle I have cropped.  In Corel Id start with the original and just draw the shape to crop by just editing the nodes. I tried starting with a polygon but couldnt get it to be anything but a polygon whereas I have a rectangle.

When you draw shapes with the tools on the Shape Tools flyout you get parametric shapes, but you’re limited to a particular set of adjustable parameters. Although that may be sufficient here (e.g. changing the corner type for just one corner) for more flexibility you can ‘Convert to Curves’ and then use the Node Tool to adjust individual nodes or line segments.

Alfred spacer.png

Are you trying to adjust the rectangle after moving it to the nesting or masking position? If so, try dragging it out to its own layer before editing it, and then drag it back in again afterwards.

Alfred spacer.png

Sorry I cant do what you did.

In the first videe.... I have the cut out that I want to edit, position the rectangle but my geometry buttons and options are greyed out.

As for the second video I did finally manage it.

I guess affinity is so powerful with so many options even simple things get complex. 15 years of using Corel is difficult to shed.

Thanks for your help