You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Increasing image size by percent

I'm curious if there is a way to increase an image size by percent. One trick I have used in photoshop when I need to make an image larger without losing quality is to increase the size incrementally by 10 percent in each action. By doing this repeatedly, the image maintains its integrity and it allows for a tighter crop even without losing too much quality. I suppose it's a similar approach to using a program like Genuine Fractals. Is there a way to do this in Affinity Photo - 1.6 or Beta 1.7? 

Edited by alan02

You can do this in Document - Resize Document.

Make sure the proportions are locked, then multiply one or the other by 1.1:

1060637758_Screenshot2019-04-09at08_04_25.thumb.png.54b074420e37c747426ed2d735681930.png

Specify DPI and resampling options and click Resize. Rinse and repeat...

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Thanks. This appears to work. My next question is related to macros. This task can be tedious, so in the past I've used actions with photoshop to repeat this task over and over again. I built a macro and it appears to record it, but since I can't specify a percent and can only set the specific amount, the macro just sets it to the amount I set originally and does not increase the size by ten percent beyond the initial increase. If I have a suggestion for an upgrade, it would be to include percent in the options for sizing the document. It would make this kind of thing way easier. Or is there a way to do this and I'm just not looking in the right place?

In your screenshot, did you write syntax for multiplying by 1.1? If so, can you elaborate on what you did? That would certainly accomplish what I'm trying to do if I'm seeing this correctly?

Edited by alan02

No, that was a single manual resize. I too tried running it as a macro, without success: the recorded macro resizes any image to the same absolute dimensions. As far as I can see there's no way of automating this, but I may be wrong. I agree that it would be very useful.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

3 hours ago, h_d said:

No, that was a single manual resize. I too tried running it as a macro, without success: the recorded macro resizes any image to the same absolute dimensions. As far as I can see there's no way of automating this, but I may be wrong. I agree that it would be very useful.

That's the way it works.

The only way to resize different-sized images in a relative manner using macros is by having the macro use Filters > Distort > Equations... and there are some good examples of that in the Resources section of the forums.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.