You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show Special Characters highlights text frames

I have a large document. I was trying to find a way to add an accented "e" to a word so I used the Text/Show Special Characters menu choice. Wrong!

At that point all text objects in the entire document were highlighted with rectangles around them. Apparently, even picture frames are also highlighted. Undo didn't work. I went back to the same "Text/Show Special Characters" menu and unchecked that. I can't get rid of the rectangles now. "Select All" doesn't change anything as all objects are selected. "Deselect" is greyed out and Command-D does not function in this case, and the "Text/Show Special Characters" is not checked.

Note that the purpose of "Show Special Characters" turned itself off (not showing paragraph markers, etc.), but the highlighted rectangles are still present.

Any ideas? Is this a bug or there some way to "deselect" everything? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 1.02.02 PM.png

That looks more like you have used View > Show Text Flow.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

38 minutes ago, thetasig said:

Is this a bug or there some way to "deselect" everything? Thanks.

Go to View > Preview Mode and toggle it. I would class this behaviour as a bug, it is certainly unexpected.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Super! well you were both correct, except that I did not select any of those options to begin with. I've never used those features so didn't know to look at them. The "show special characters" did it all without my knowledge. Using that choice auto-checked Show Margins (the external rectangle) and Show Text Flow. I agree that it's a bug, but very happy to be able to straighten it out! Kudos!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.