You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I really like Affinity Photo (AP) most of the time; HOWEVER, the super slow loading/processing of RAW files is a real bummer.  Maybe this doesn't apply to Canon and Nikon RAW format BUT loading Sony RX10 III/IV and A7R II RAW files is a show-stopper.  In fact it is so slow I've gone back to preprocessing RAW files to TIF format in Lightroom then loading the TIF files to AP.  The result is a saving of 15-30 minutes for 10+/- RAW files!!

Lightroom, Photoshop and OnOne load RAW files almost instantaneously.  What is Affinity Photo doing that causes it to essentially stall!?

Crashes:  The above process (RAW processing) is also one of most common causes of crashes in Affinity Photo, i.e.: no error messages, AP simply goes away!

Environment:

• Lenovo YOGA 910
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • i7 CPU
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD

16 hours ago, bwana4swahili said:

I really like Affinity Photo (AP) most of the time; HOWEVER, the super slow loading/processing of RAW files is a real bummer.  Maybe this doesn't apply to Canon and Nikon RAW format BUT loading Sony RX10 III/IV and A7R II RAW files is a show-stopper.  In fact it is so slow I've gone back to preprocessing RAW files to TIF format in Lightroom then loading the TIF files to AP.  The result is a saving of 15-30 minutes for 10+/- RAW files!!

Lightroom, Photoshop and OnOne load RAW files almost instantaneously.  What is Affinity Photo doing that causes it to essentially stall!?

Crashes:  The above process (RAW processing) is also one of most common causes of crashes in Affinity Photo, i.e.: no error messages, AP simply goes away!

Environment:

• Lenovo YOGA 910
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • i7 CPU
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD

I've just tried a few RAW files from the RX10 IV and the A7R II - using v1.6.5, the former loaded in 4 seconds, the latter in 9 seconds.  Even loading multiple files, the increase in time was linear.  I'm using a desktop PC rather than a laptop, but the only significant difference that I can see is that I've got 24GByte RAM. 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

9 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi bwana4swahili,

Can you check this in the latest beta which you can download from here, it's had a number of improvements made to RAW processing and you should notice it's now quicker at opening them :) 

I downloaded and installed Beta - 1.7.0.284.  I then did some testing with A7R II RAW files (81.6MB).

Vast improvement!!!

With Version 1.6.5.123 if took 3 min., 40 sec. (220 sec., 55 sec./file) to load the four files to the point of Development.  With the Beta it took 25 sec. (6.25 sec./file)

When will the Beta be released as the latest commercial release??

Thanks for the assistance.  Very much appreciated!

P.S.: I'll continue running with the Beta release and see how it performs overall.

7 hours ago, IanSG said:

I've just tried a few RAW files from the RX10 IV and the A7R II - using v1.6.5, the former loaded in 4 seconds, the latter in 9 seconds.  Even loading multiple files, the increase in time was linear.  I'm using a desktop PC rather than a laptop, but the only significant difference that I can see is that I've got 24GByte RAM. 

As noted in my latest post, it takes 55 sec./file for A7R II RAW files with the latest release and 6.25 sec./file with the latest Beta release.

5 hours ago, bwana4swahili said:

As noted in my latest post, it takes 55 sec./file for A7R II RAW files with the latest release and 6.25 sec./file with the latest Beta release.

I get much the same time with the latest Beta.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• 1 year later...

having the same issue on my Mac mini.  The ARW files are loading incredibly slow to the hard drive and in LR.  I'm running an updated system and software.  I've only had this Mac mini for about 3-4 months.  My Nikon files don't take as long and process pretty quickly.  Is there any was to correct this because I love my new Sony a7iii and I want to get another but if this is my future, I may have to change things.

Please help!

2 hours ago, Ken Maurice said:

having the same issue on my Mac mini.  The ARW files are loading incredibly slow to the hard drive and in LR.  I'm running an updated system and software.  I've only had this Mac mini for about 3-4 months.  My Nikon files don't take as long and process pretty quickly.  Is there any was to correct this because I love my new Sony a7iii and I want to get another but if this is my future, I may have to change things.

Please help!

Since my original post I've upgraded my desktop computer to a gaming PC; i9 CPU, 48GB RAM, 2 TB SSD and a top-end NVIDA video card.  Running Affinity Photo 1.9.2 on Windows 10.

I just ran a test on 20 A7 III RAW files.  They all loaded in under 10 seconds.

I think the improvement in load speed from back in April 2019 is due to several things:

1) faster more advanced CPU; i7 vs i9

2) 48GB vs. 16GB RAM; has a real impact on every aspect of image / video processing

3) a much faster SSD (6x faster); probably very significant

4) improvements in Affinity Photo.

5) I don't think the video card has much impact on load speed