I really like Affinity Photo (AP) most of the time; HOWEVER, the super slow loading/processing of RAW files is a real bummer.  Maybe this doesn't apply to Canon and Nikon RAW format BUT loading Sony RX10 III/IV and A7R II RAW files is a show-stopper.  In fact it is so slow I've gone back to preprocessing RAW files to TIF format in Lightroom then loading the TIF files to AP.  The result is a saving of 15-30 minutes for 10+/- RAW files!!

Lightroom, Photoshop and OnOne load RAW files almost instantaneously.  What is Affinity Photo doing that causes it to essentially stall!?

Crashes:  The above process (RAW processing) is also one of most common causes of crashes in Affinity Photo, i.e.: no error messages, AP simply goes away!

Environment:

• Lenovo YOGA 910
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • i7 CPU
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD

Hi bwana4swahili,

Can you check this in the latest beta which you can download from here, it's had a number of improvements made to RAW processing and you should notice it's now quicker at opening them :) 

16 hours ago, bwana4swahili said:

I really like Affinity Photo (AP) most of the time; HOWEVER, the super slow loading/processing of RAW files is a real bummer.  Maybe this doesn't apply to Canon and Nikon RAW format BUT loading Sony RX10 III/IV and A7R II RAW files is a show-stopper.  In fact it is so slow I've gone back to preprocessing RAW files to TIF format in Lightroom then loading the TIF files to AP.  The result is a saving of 15-30 minutes for 10+/- RAW files!!

Lightroom, Photoshop and OnOne load RAW files almost instantaneously.  What is Affinity Photo doing that causes it to essentially stall!?

Crashes:  The above process (RAW processing) is also one of most common causes of crashes in Affinity Photo, i.e.: no error messages, AP simply goes away!

Environment:

• Lenovo YOGA 910
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • i7 CPU
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD

I've just tried a few RAW files from the RX10 IV and the A7R II - using v1.6.5, the former loaded in 4 seconds, the latter in 9 seconds.  Even loading multiple files, the increase in time was linear.  I'm using a desktop PC rather than a laptop, but the only significant difference that I can see is that I've got 24GByte RAM. 

AP user, running Win10

9 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi bwana4swahili,

Can you check this in the latest beta which you can download from here, it's had a number of improvements made to RAW processing and you should notice it's now quicker at opening them :) 

I downloaded and installed Beta - 1.7.0.284.  I then did some testing with A7R II RAW files (81.6MB).

Vast improvement!!!

With Version 1.6.5.123 if took 3 min., 40 sec. (220 sec., 55 sec./file) to load the four files to the point of Development.  With the Beta it took 25 sec. (6.25 sec./file)

When will the Beta be released as the latest commercial release??

Thanks for the assistance.  Very much appreciated!

P.S.: I'll continue running with the Beta release and see how it performs overall.

7 hours ago, IanSG said:

I've just tried a few RAW files from the RX10 IV and the A7R II - using v1.6.5, the former loaded in 4 seconds, the latter in 9 seconds.  Even loading multiple files, the increase in time was linear.  I'm using a desktop PC rather than a laptop, but the only significant difference that I can see is that I've got 24GByte RAM. 

As noted in my latest post, it takes 55 sec./file for A7R II RAW files with the latest release and 6.25 sec./file with the latest Beta release.

I found that installing custom brushes, swatches and suchlike can slow AP quite considerably.  If you have lots of these, perhaps you might consider deleting a few.

1 hour ago, GillE said:

I found that installing custom brushes, swatches and suchlike can slow AP quite considerably.  If you have lots of these, perhaps you might consider deleting a few.

None installed.

2 minutes ago, bwana4swahili said:

None installed.

Have you tried resetting AP by starting it with the <ctrl> key depressed?  

AP user, running Win10

5 hours ago, bwana4swahili said:

As noted in my latest post, it takes 55 sec./file for A7R II RAW files with the latest release and 6.25 sec./file with the latest Beta release.

I get much the same time with the latest Beta.

AP user, running Win10

8 hours ago, IanSG said:

Have you tried resetting AP by starting it with the <ctrl> key depressed?  

Yup, tried this, cleared all.  No noticeable difference in load speed.

bwa