How can I get a custom colour palette when opening Affinity?

Now it's always Greys and every new file I'll have to change that.

Is there a fix/workaround?

Something I'm overlooking?

Any help appreciated!

greys.png.6fa21b6be6302ab935be15ebb2ffd634.png

6 minutes ago, onno-r said:

How can I get a custom colour palette when opening Affinity?

Now it's always Greys and every new file I'll have to change that.

Just checking to clarify what you mean...

When you open an Affinity application the default Swatch you see is Greys, but there is a Colors swatch and a Gradients swatch available in that pull-down.

Are you asking (a) to change the default (so that, for example, Colors is displayed rather than Grays) or (b) how to add a custom swatch?

For (a), I don't think you can.

For (b), you can add an Application Palette or (if you're on Mac) a System Palette. If you add an Application Palette that will be the default one displayed by the application, I believe.

To create a Palette use the hamburger menu on the right side of the tab bar when you have the Swatches panel open, and choose Application. You could also create a Document Palette or (on Mac) a System Palette that way.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.330 Beta

Hi Walt, 

Thanks for the quick reply, but I mean (a).

Now I have to change the palette every new file.

And what is so great about Affinity is that you can have a long list of different palettes for every different project.

9 minutes ago, onno-r said:

Now I have to change the palette every new file.

If you have a favorite set of colors you could put them into an Application Palette, which would become the default for the Swatches panel. But if you just want one of the other standard palettes to be the default, I'm afraid you're stuck.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.330 Beta

I put them into an application palette already which still would show the Greys on top.

But if you export the Greys, Colours and Gradients and then delete them, the preferred custom palette will be on top.

When you import the previous palettes again, they will not pop up above the custom one.

Thanks for the help!

4 hours ago, onno-r said:

But if you export the Greys, Colours and Gradients and then delete them, the preferred custom palette will be on top.

When you import the previous palettes again, they will not pop up above the custom one.

That is a great tip, thanks I am going to try and remember it.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.330 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.125 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.12