You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to read this question and hopefully help me out.  I am without question lost when it comes to my design getting distorted when uploaded to cricut design space.  I created this design with individual curves and grouped them in order to export as svg.  I use the svg export preset and it seems fine until I upload it to cricut's design space.  The curves become distorted and separated.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! I have uploaded my design below.

Thank you!

eucalyptus.afdesign

Edited by lcreekmur

Welcome to the forum, The design as it is will not work.

You need to expand the strokes for all the layers: Layer > Expand stroke this makes the curve a shape with an outer line, then you need to add all the shapes together using Layer > Geometry > Add

1. Select all the curve layers
  2. Go to Layer > Expand stroke
  3. Go to Layer > Geometry > Add

There will be the odd curve that doesn't expand so you need to expand that and do steps 3

Note: You have several empty curve layers that you can delete.

If you select the Node Tool and click on the Curve layer you will see all the nodes that now make your shape, you can edit those nodes by clicking on them. generally the less nodes the better. If you mess up you can always use history to scroll back.

eucalyptus.svg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

51 minutes ago, lcreekmur said:

Once I expanded stroke and added the shapes, the leaves appeared to be filled in.  Am I missing something?

What colour is the fill? If it’s green, it comes from the ‘empty’ layers that @firstdefence said you could delete: rather than really being empty, those layers have a green fill initially set to 0% opacity.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, CraftLe@rner said:

Hi @firstdefence,

Do you happen to know where I would find this on the iPad version of AD? I found the expand stroke, but I can’t find “geometry.” Thanks in advance. 

I’m not @firstdefence (obviously!) but the equivalent of ‘Layer > Geometry > Add’ is here in AD on iPad:9A282E25-F3D3-4014-A934-C61F795895EA.thumb.jpeg.73b7f6a3073534e0b2a6fdf5cc702c8a.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, CraftLe@rner said:

went through to see if this was an extra layer now, but it’s not all my other layers are gone

That’s what ‘Add’ does: it adds multiple closed shapes together to create a single ‘Curve’ or ‘Curves’ layer (the former if the original shapes were all overlapping, the latter if one or more didn’t overlap with any of the others).

Alfred spacer.png

@CraftLe@rner It's better you make your own post, but in the meantime, what are you trying to achieve?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions