You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Relative option for Resize Document and Canvas

Please, can we have a "relative" option when resizing the document or the canvas?  That is, the ability add or subtract some amount (pixels, inches, etc) from the dimensions of the document or canvas.

Alternatively, if I type, for example "+=20" into one of the width or height boxes while recording a macro, could the macro remember the formula rather than the calculated value?

Thanks.

-- Bill W

19 minutes ago, billw51 said:

Please, can we have a "relative" option when resizing the document or the canvas?  That is, the ability add or subtract some amount (pixels, inches, etc) from the dimensions of the document or canvas.

You can already do that by typing "+=" or "-="and some number of units and whatever unit you want (they don't need to match the document units). E.g., +=20px or -=2in or whatever you want.

It won't work well for macros, though, as you mentioned in your second paragraph

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

"+=" doesn't work at all for macros. The macro stores the result of the calculation, not the formula.

This may seem trivial for such a sophisticated photo editing app, but what I need to do is add a consistent drop shadow to many images (the images are different sizes). I've come up with a workaround (thanks to several threads here that address this issue) that effectively resizes the canvas, but why not just have the ability to do this from the resize function?

-- Bill

11 minutes ago, billw51 said:

"+=" doesn't work at all for macros. The macro stores the result of the calculation, not the formula

True. But you asked for a relative resize, which that gives.

You also asked for something to help with macros, and it does not help there, but I did not respond to that part of your post.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It might be possible to do that using Equations, which could be incorporated into a macro. It would be straightforward to write a macro to add a fixed amount (such as 20px), but rather more complex (but not impossible) to have a more general macro with the increment as a parameter.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 4/15/2019 at 7:24 PM, John Rostron said:

It might be possible to do that using Equations, which could be incorporated into a macro. It would be straightforward to write a macro to add a fixed amount (such as 20px), but rather more complex (but not impossible) to have a more general macro with the increment as a parameter.

John

I would like to withdraw my assertions above. The Filters > Distort > Equations acts on the Document and not on the Canvas, which is what is needed here.  I would be interested (and indeed amazed) if anyone could prove me wrong on this.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 2 months later...

The basic nature of macros is a dealbreaker. Without automated actions, a lot of people won't move from PS without major headaches and disruption to workflow. I need to resize batches of photos for the web by making them all 800 pixels wide, but they have different heights and I don't want to adjust this. Macros don't let you do this, PS does. Like PS lets you crop any file to 800 pixels wide and AP doesn't. It makes me so sad because I hate Adobe!

43 minutes ago, hungrydog said:

I need to resize batches of photos for the web by making them all 800 pixels wide, but they have different heights and I don't want to adjust this. Macros don't let you do this, 

Are you saying that if you have a photo of, say,  2000 x 1000px you want to resize it to 800 x 1000px  (i.e. not preserving the aspect ratio)?

If so, you can already do this in File > New Batch Job without using a macro

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

14 hours ago, carl123 said:

Are you saying that if you have a photo of, say,  2000 x 1000px you want to resize it to 800 x 1000px  (i.e. not preserving the aspect ratio)?

If so, you can already do this in File > New Batch Job without using a macro

And you can use File > New Batch Job to preserve the aspect ratio i.e 800 px by whatever the new height will be.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

And you can use File > New Batch Job to preserve the aspect ratio i.e 800 px by whatever the new height will be.

That is EXACTLY what I need. Thank you, Old Bruce and also carl123 (though I want to preserve the aspect ratio). 

Joy!!!:D