You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clipping, masking...I just need help please!!!

I am trying to create something like the photo that I have included. I have a “wallpaper” type background that I want in the letters. Is this possible with affinity designer? I did this in my silhouette software but am having trouble converting to svg for printing. Very new to affinity. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

1B1E6C41-1C1D-46AC-874E-510DE485AE79.jpeg

Hello Kellygirl H,

If you want to create a new text, place your wallpaper and type your text on top.
In the layers, move the wallpaper in the text so that you get a horizontal blue rectangle at the bottom right of the thumbnail.

Image_texte.gif

You should be able to use either masking or clipping for this. To use masking drag the text layer onto the thumbnail of the wallpaper layer & drop it when a short vertical blue bar appears. To use clipping, drag the wallpaper layer onto the text layer anywhere to the right of the thumbnail & drop it when a horizontal blue bar appears, as in the the post above by @reglico.
2130697123_clipormask.jpg.eb3a5cde03a4a93adc96bac61cc33a57.jpg

Note the difference in the amount of indentation of a mask vs. a clipping layer in the Layers panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

52 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Note the difference in the amount of indentation of a mask vs. a clipping layer in the Layers panel.

Note also that the mask thumbnail includes a ‘crop’ icon. This is because the wallpaper has been cropped to the shape of the text that you’ve dropped onto it.

22 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

@R C-R Would you say that there's a particular advantage in either masking or clipping in this case?

I’m not @R C-R (obviously!) but I can’t see any advantage in this particular case. However, there are scenarios where clipping will give the correct result but cropping/masking will not, as discussed here:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m not @R C-R

Well, now that you say it: Never have I seen you and @R C-R together at the very same place and time … :35_thinking:

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

there are scenarios where clipping will give the correct result but cropping/masking will not, as discussed here

Thank you for pointing this out. I use masking and clipping every day and have talked myself into beliving that I completely understand the difference between the two. But the whole subject is so confusing that sometimes I'd like to get reassured that I don't miss anything.

15 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

Well, now that you say it: Never have I seen you and @R C-R together at the very same place and time … :35_thinking:

rotfl.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

55 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

Since you already figured out part of the truth, perhaps it is time to reveal that what you know as @Alfred & @R C-R are actually just two of the several personas (see what it did there?) of an A.I. program running on a botnet comprised almost entirely of compromised 'smart' appliances & other IoT (Internet of Things) devices. :ph34r:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Since you already figured out part of the truth, perhaps it is time to reveal that what you know as @Alfred & @R C-R are actually just two of the several personas (see what it did there?) of an A.I. program running on a botnet comprised almost entirely of compromised 'smart' appliances & other IoT (Internet of Things) devices. :ph34r:

So can you guys can see what I have in my refrigerator? Do I need to buy milk?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.