Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Okay, I have a suggestion. The beta of Designer 1.7 introduced a new tool, the Point Transform Tool. I am aware of what it does, but I’m interested in learning its advantages. I’m interested in learning in what cases it can be used.


The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Okay, I have a suggestion. The beta of Designer 1.7 introduced a new tool, the Point Transform Tool. I am aware of what it does, but I’m interested in learning its advantages. I’m interested in learning in what cases it can be used.

Should have stated, I do Affinity photo tutorials right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bethany Acorn said:

Should have stated, I do Affinity photo tutorials right now.

You might want to edit your original post and change the topic title to be more specific.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bethany Acorn said:

Should have stated, I do Affinity photo tutorials right now.

Aw bummer. I'm not sure then seeing how illustration is more of what I do, but if I get an idea, I'll let you know.


The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 3:08 PM, Bethany Acorn said:

Looking for a list of things people want tutorials on.

For Bethany Acorn channel.

The tricker the problem, the better.

YouTube channel

I just watched one of your tutorials (thanks!) and have a question. Two, actually. First, I didn't see a way to ask this question on YouTube - is that feature disabled?

And now the real question. In the "Out of Bounds" tutorial, you duplicate the train image and then mask off the front of the train in one of the layers. I didn't catch what that layer is used for.


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, casterle said:

First, I didn't see a way to ask this question on YouTube - is that feature disabled?

No. Comments are enabled for her videos, and there are 7 comments on that video. At the top of the comments there's a "click to add public comment" field.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.384 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, casterle said:

I didn't see a way to ask this question on YouTube

You need to be logged in to a Google/YouTube account if you want to post a comment or question.

59 minutes ago, casterle said:

And now the real question. In the "Out of Bounds" tutorial, you duplicate the train image and then mask off the front of the train in one of the layers. I didn't catch what that layer is used for.

The unmasked train image is placed behind the MacBook image so that it shows through the screen cutout. The masked copy of the train image is placed on top of the MacBook screen to produce the OOB effect.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You need to be logged in to a Google/YouTube account if you want to post a comment or question.

True, but when I signed out (before responding earlier) there was still a place to add a comment. It just asked me to sign-in before it would actually let me post it. So it at least should be clear to the user that it is possible to comment on a video.

When comments are disabled I recall seeing a specific message to that effect.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.384 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No. Comments are enabled for her videos, and there are 7 comments on that video. At the top of the comments there's a "click to add public comment" field.

I don't see any comments at all, just a list of the next videos in the channel. I've noticed this before on other videos; perhaps it's because I arrived at the video via her channels page?

image.png.8c1aa7248c02477eb38f133ca95e0188.png


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, casterle said:

I don't see any comments at all, just a list of the next videos in the channel. I've noticed this before on other videos; perhaps it's because I arrived at the video via her channels page?

It looks like you have your window scaled very narrow. In a very tight view, the comments should be after the "Up Next" videos when the display is compacted like that.


The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alfred said:

The unmasked train image is placed behind the MacBook image so that it shows through the screen cutout. The masked copy of the train image is placed on top of the MacBook screen to produce the OOB effect.

Yes, thanks. I worked through it this time and it was obvious. I'm not familiar with the tablet UI so converting to Win desktop in my brain was a challenge. I'll get better at it 'cause there's lots to learn from these great tutorials.


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps you should click on "Show More"?

That just gives the usual details about the video.


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

It looks like you have your window scaled very narrow. In a very tight view, the comments should be after the "Up Next" videos when the display is compacted like that.

I just did that so I could get more lines into the screenshot, but you're right; scrolling way, way down reveals the comments.


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

It looks like you have your window scaled very narrow. In a very tight view, the comments should be after the "Up Next" videos when the display is compacted like that.

I see what you mean now. Normally I have my Chrome window set to about half the width of one of my monitors, about 850 px. Widening it shifted the 'Up Next' list to the right side, revealing the comments immediately below the video.


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, casterle said:

I see what you mean now. Normally I have my Chrome window set to about half the width of one of my monitors, about 850 px. Widening it shifted the 'Up Next' list to the right side, revealing the comments immediately below the video.

I assumed as much since I'm on YouTube a lot on my phone, and the view is in that same format. Yeah it's strange how that works, but I guess it makes sense since comments could go on forever. Therefor, it should be the last thing you see for any view.


The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

I assumed as much since I'm on YouTube a lot on my phone, and the view is in that same format. Yeah it's strange how that works, but I guess it makes sense since comments could go on forever. Therefor, it should be the last thing you see for any view.

I agree. Taming the web for small devices has created these situations. I wish they would check to see if I'm on desktop first and not screw with my view if I am. When the software takes control from me I have no idea what's happened.

Personally, I wish MS had stopped at Win 7 which I consider the golden age of the PC desktop. It was stable, beautiful and readable.


Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, casterle said:

Personally, I wish MS had stopped at Win 7 which I consider the golden age of the PC desktop. It was stable, beautiful and readable.

*Like* for that statement. That was my favorite time of design.


The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×