You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Video tutorial requests

• Staff

@Bethany Acorn

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

I have moved your post to the tutorials forum, though it's not perfect here either, I accept.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have a suggestion. The beta of Designer 1.7 introduced a new tool, the Point Transform Tool. I am aware of what it does, but I’m interested in learning its advantages. I’m interested in learning in what cases it can be used.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

7 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Okay, I have a suggestion. The beta of Designer 1.7 introduced a new tool, the Point Transform Tool. I am aware of what it does, but I’m interested in learning its advantages. I’m interested in learning in what cases it can be used.

Should have stated, I do Affinity photo tutorials right now.

1 hour ago, Bethany Acorn said:

You might want to edit your original post and change the topic title to be more specific.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, Bethany Acorn said:

Aw bummer. I'm not sure then seeing how illustration is more of what I do, but if I get an idea, I'll let you know.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On 4/7/2019 at 3:08 PM, Bethany Acorn said:

Looking for a list of things people want tutorials on.

For Bethany Acorn channel.

The tricker the problem, the better.

YouTube channel

I just watched one of your tutorials (thanks!) and have a question. Two, actually. First, I didn't see a way to ask this question on YouTube - is that feature disabled?

And now the real question. In the "Out of Bounds" tutorial, you duplicate the train image and then mask off the front of the train in one of the layers. I didn't catch what that layer is used for.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

44 minutes ago, casterle said:

First, I didn't see a way to ask this question on YouTube - is that feature disabled?

No. Comments are enabled for her videos, and there are 7 comments on that video. At the top of the comments there's a "click to add public comment" field.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

59 minutes ago, casterle said:

I didn't see a way to ask this question on YouTube

You need to be logged in to a Google/YouTube account if you want to post a comment or question.

59 minutes ago, casterle said:

And now the real question. In the "Out of Bounds" tutorial, you duplicate the train image and then mask off the front of the train in one of the layers. I didn't catch what that layer is used for.

The unmasked train image is placed behind the MacBook image so that it shows through the screen cutout. The masked copy of the train image is placed on top of the MacBook screen to produce the OOB effect.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You need to be logged in to a Google/YouTube account if you want to post a comment or question.

True, but when I signed out (before responding earlier) there was still a place to add a comment. It just asked me to sign-in before it would actually let me post it. So it at least should be clear to the user that it is possible to comment on a video.

When comments are disabled I recall seeing a specific message to that effect.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

35 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No. Comments are enabled for her videos, and there are 7 comments on that video. At the top of the comments there's a "click to add public comment" field.

I don't see any comments at all, just a list of the next videos in the channel. I've noticed this before on other videos; perhaps it's because I arrived at the video via her channels page?

image.png.8c1aa7248c02477eb38f133ca95e0188.png

Perhaps you should click on "Show More"?

-- Walt
PC:

37 minutes ago, casterle said:

I don't see any comments at all, just a list of the next videos in the channel. I've noticed this before on other videos; perhaps it's because I arrived at the video via her channels page?

It looks like you have your window scaled very narrow. In a very tight view, the comments should be after the "Up Next" videos when the display is compacted like that.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

The unmasked train image is placed behind the MacBook image so that it shows through the screen cutout. The masked copy of the train image is placed on top of the MacBook screen to produce the OOB effect.

Yes, thanks. I worked through it this time and it was obvious. I'm not familiar with the tablet UI so converting to Win desktop in my brain was a challenge. I'll get better at it 'cause there's lots to learn from these great tutorials.

17 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

It looks like you have your window scaled very narrow. In a very tight view, the comments should be after the "Up Next" videos when the display is compacted like that.

I just did that so I could get more lines into the screenshot, but you're right; scrolling way, way down reveals the comments.

19 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

I see what you mean now. Normally I have my Chrome window set to about half the width of one of my monitors, about 850 px. Widening it shifted the 'Up Next' list to the right side, revealing the comments immediately below the video.

7 hours ago, casterle said:

I see what you mean now. Normally I have my Chrome window set to about half the width of one of my monitors, about 850 px. Widening it shifted the 'Up Next' list to the right side, revealing the comments immediately below the video.

I assumed as much since I'm on YouTube a lot on my phone, and the view is in that same format. Yeah it's strange how that works, but I guess it makes sense since comments could go on forever. Therefor, it should be the last thing you see for any view.

12 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

I assumed as much since I'm on YouTube a lot on my phone, and the view is in that same format. Yeah it's strange how that works, but I guess it makes sense since comments could go on forever. Therefor, it should be the last thing you see for any view.

I agree. Taming the web for small devices has created these situations. I wish they would check to see if I'm on desktop first and not screw with my view if I am. When the software takes control from me I have no idea what's happened.

Personally, I wish MS had stopped at Win 7 which I consider the golden age of the PC desktop. It was stable, beautiful and readable.

1 hour ago, casterle said:

Personally, I wish MS had stopped at Win 7 which I consider the golden age of the PC desktop. It was stable, beautiful and readable.

*Like* for that statement. That was my favorite time of design.

• 2 weeks later...