As a long-time QuarkXpress user I am impressed with what I've seen of Publisher so far. You have indicated on another thread that importing InDesign documents will probably be added to a future version, so I can ask if the same will apply to Quark files?

I no longer use Quark as much as I used to and I'm still running its 2015 incarnation. For my now more limited use, upgrading is not a cost-effective option. I already use Photo and Designer, so Publisher would fit neatly into my workflow as an alternative to Quark.

Publisher still has quite a few rough edges, particularly with how it handles images and the bizarre implementation of the art-board, where normally I like to write text, try out different things and run text overflows during the editing process. I find the default implementation of black backgrounds equally bizarre in an application aimed at those who work in print. Who in their right mind would print on black paper?

You will be on to a winner if Publisher becomes an app that looks like it was intended for print, rather than one simply ported over from the web environment.

Welcome to the Affinity forum.  I'm not sure I follow your comment about the art boards.   You can change the interface into a light version by opening the application preferences and changing the User Interface preference settings.  That dialog box will also let you change the color of the art board background. In the screen capture below, I've set the UI to the Light format, I like it better when working on Publisher.  You an also use the sliders to adjust the background gray level and the art board gray level.

I'm also not sure exactly what you mean about the art boards themselves.  If you mean that you use the area outside of the page/art board to place notes and other items, you can go to the View > View mode> Clip to Canvas to toggle being able to place items outside of the page boundary. 

Hope this helps.

Preferences 2019-04-07 22-01-04.jpg

At some point in time, Apub will be able to open InDesign IDML but not native ID files. I doubt it will ever open Q native files ever.

Mike 

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

6 hours ago, Michael117 said:

I'm also not sure exactly what you mean about the art boards themselves.  If you mean that you use the area outside of the page/art board to place notes and other items, you can go to the View > View mode> Clip to Canvas to toggle being able to place items outside of the page boundary. 

Thanks Michael, that solves the issue. Bizarre default, though, because I would imagine most users would want to use art boards in exactly this way. No mention either that I could find in any of the documentation.

I've been a Quark user since the late 1980s, mostly for producing newspapers, books, magazines and newsletters. The beauty of Quark used to be its simplicity, but in recent times it's become bloated. Additional features have meant that some formatting options, previously achieved with simple keystroke combinations, have become more long-winded, not helpful in an industry working to tight deadlines, where speed is of the essence.

Two other areas where I feel Publisher needs attention is in colour handling and typographical default settings. I would like to see the Swatches palette developed to allow for the naming of colours so that they can be identified more readily. At the moment if you have similar shades in the same swatch it's difficult to distinguish one from another because of the tiny square of colours. I would also like to see the option of a default setting for leading, for instance, instead of having to set in every single Text Style.

Keyboard shortcuts are always important to smooth and efficient working and in my view Publisher doesn't at the moment strike the right balance with its shortcuts. Too many apply to little used options and not enough to ones users like me need.

8 hours ago, Michael117 said:

I'm not sure I follow your comment about the art boards.

I think that @Xpresso is referring to the background (the area outside of the pages) as the "art board", perhaps not realizing that "artboard" is an Affinity term with a different meaning. You seem to be doing that, too. The slider that controls the color of the background is the "Background grey level". The "Artboard background grey level" applies only to the situation where you have opened a .afdesign document in Publisher and chosen not to convert the artboards to spreads.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta