You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For the iPad or in general?

However it's often asked after, but I don't know if it has been officially acknowledged and commited to be really build one day. So actually one has to use other third party tracing tools in order to build vectors out of bitmap drawings. Some third party tools do also offer color tracing, though integrated tracing features as shown above in your Ai examples, would be nice to have. - In the meantime I for my part, use some own workarounds to overcome these limitations, by tracing and then routing things over to Designer ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another +1 to image trace request here.

A month ago I was ready to buy the Affinity software - it looks amazing by the way!
Then I found out it doesn't offer image trace.
I use this feature CONSTANTLY. At least 50% of all of my projects need some kind of image tracing.

It was a deal breaker and I haven't picked up any of the Affinity software still because of this.
I really really want to but if it doesn't image trace, I will just wind up going back to my current apps to do image tracing, which defeats the purpose of doing a migration to the Affinity software.

Another +1 for(mage Trace. It is a fundamental feature of a vector program, not an optional extra. Work-arounds using third party software is possible, but cumbersome compared to working in-app. As a newbie to the Affinity universe I am making many practical comparisons. Affinity is an option only because it will probably beat Adobe to bringing InDesign-like app to iPad, but once InDesign for iPad is here Affinity must offer comparable features, or designers are going to go with the far more familiar Adobe option, especially since, if the designer has an Adobe subscription, then their iPad app won’t cost anymore, while affinity will be an extra cost. Image Trace is important.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This has been requested numerous times for the desktop version also.

The response has been that while Serif has had this technology for their prior product line they are not happy with how it performs.

They want to do this for the Affinity products but when they do, they want it to be right.  There was talk of this functionality introducing an entire new persona, so they are clearly thinking of something major with it.

As a result, it is going to take time, and it may still be a few versions out.  I definitely believe it will be coming, and I expect it will be excellent when it does, but it is not clear just how soon.

On 4/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, Elsteck said:

Does anybody have experience with the app TracedLines in the MacApp store? 

No not really, since there is no tryout version of that available. - Though from some of it's claimed capabilities it looks interesting, as it seems to support customizable color optimization, trace masks and color replacements.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 months later...

Inkscape has this function of trace bitmap and it has nice adjustments to really fint tune your graphics from jepegd/jpg and so forth. 

I've used it for color and black and white results.

Image to vector is free with Inkscape and here is the link https://inkscape.org/

This is the page about tracing...

https://inkscape.org/doc/tutorials/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html

15 hours ago, khperkins said:

I've been using Image Vectorizer http://image-vectorizer.com/ for a while and it works well for converting to B&W vector.

Me too - works great

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 3/17/2020 at 8:37 AM, ipodjockey said:

I know you are probably tired of hearing requests for this feature. I just wanted to throw my +1 in for this feature. In fact I'm so committed to ditching Adobe, that I would pay extra just for this feature alone. 

Inkscape has this feature and it's completely free, so you can trace your image, save as .svg, and then open in Affinity.  I know it sucks to go from one program to another, but it beats paying those Adobe prices!   I have actually never used Adobe Illustrator because Inkscape has been good enough for my needs, but I'm excited to dig-into the Affinity suite and stop using Photoshop and InDesign.

Edited by Tinsnip

• 1 month later...

Vectornator is a free (rather interesting) iPad app that has image trace, although I had to look up how to use it. It’s not as good as Illustrator’s, nor have I tried those online solutions, but one more thing for y’all to try.

Out of interest and curiosity: how often do you (all) trace bitmaps? I mostly did it by hand in my career and limited use cases.

Fx you @Jesse L You use it constantly? In what context? 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

31 minutes ago, Mtsk said:

+1 for trace. My one daily use case would be for enlarging small bitmaps for silk screen printing.

Alright, thank you, interesting. I would never have guessed that use case fx. 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 year later...