You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Conflict with Windows hotkeys.

If you assign hotkeys to the launch of the AP program, the program perceives such a launch as resetting the settings.

286615721_.thumb.PNG.87ffacd312c79d238a7d62364a7b32c0.PNG

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

Does not reset them for me.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

It's not new with the beta, as it can happen with 1.6, too.

@Ron P.: If you hold the Ctrl part of the shortcut key down long enough, it probably will. At least, it will for me in that situation. But normally I would just press the key combination and then release it, and then the reset does not happen.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's not new with the beta, as it can happen with 1.6, too.

@Ron P.: If you hold the Ctrl part of the shortcut key down long enough, it probably will. At least, it will for me in that situation. But normally I would just press the key combination and then release it, and then the reset does not happen.

Right. With a very quick key press combination, the launch runs in normal mode.

Is it possible to teach the program to understand (ignore the pressed key) when the program starts with hot keys.

Windows 11 64-bit,

I suspect it will be quicker to teach the user to release the keys more quickly :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I suspect it will be quicker to teach the user to release the keys more quickly :)

Or for the Affinity apps just assign shortcut keys that don't use the CTRL key

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Which means, I think, using either an Fn key, or one of the numeric keypad keys. For any other key (at least on my Windows laptop) Windows will assign Ctrl + Alt + the key I press.

-- Walt
PC:

40 minutes ago, carl123 said:

In Windows, hotkeys for any contain Ctrl + Alt. Do not get to exclude keys.

Windows 11 64-bit,

1 minute ago, Max N said:

In Windows, hotkeys for any contain Ctrl + Alt. Do not get to exclude keys.

Not quite true. You can at least use Fn keys, or numeric keypad keys, without having Ctrl + Alt included.

-- Walt
PC:

As Walt has said you can use the Fn keys or keys on the numeric keypad

E.g. Try using the F4 or F7 key on its own

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

47 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

51 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can rewrite the program. You can update the firmware to the user. There is no forum where you can write about the request to add a feature to the user's firmware. But the forum on AP exists :) Other users may also come across this problem / feature. I think that is not a very large percentage, but even so.

Windows 11 64-bit,

True. You can ask for an improvement. As I mentioned above, this problem is not new with the beta. Therefore, the correct place (in my opinion) to post an improvement request for it is Suggestions for the Affinity Suite of Products. You could do that, or possibly a moderator will move this topic.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

True. You can ask for an improvement. As I mentioned above, this problem is not new with the beta. Therefore, the correct place (in my opinion) to post an improvement request for it is Suggestions for the Affinity Suite of Products. You could do that, or possibly a moderator will move this topic. 

Formally, the fact that the program does not distinguish the launch by the standard means of the operating system (Hot Keys is the same full-fledged tool as launching via a shortcut) from launching with the parameter is an error. Perhaps there are restrictions on the part of the operating system or programming language, but I do not have such information. The error is present in the stable and beta version. I understand that a new release is currently being formed, and if developers can solve the problem, then it will be good.
  Request a function? Which one? What would the program run correctly from the shortcut and hotkeys. So this should be the default.

Windows 11 64-bit,

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.