You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show objects in area around the pages

I find it very strange that objects become invisible when you place them next to the page.

I do this sometimes temporarily. You don't even see the outline which means you can't even see if there is anything at all.

One time I sort of "lost" a picture frame and wondered if it was put there by accident. No way to see.

This way you also can;t use the area as a temporary space to put some objects you're experimenting with and such.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Tal Wilkins.

From the Menu, View > View Mode and make sure Clip to Canvas is not checked.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Tal, you have hit on an issue. Even CONTROL +A will not select anything off canvas so there it sits. The only real work around  than might work for you you is to mark an item with the color codes in the layers panel before moving them off the canvas. Then you can select them vai the layers panel and continue

If you really make a mess you can zoom WAY out then dram a big selection with the mouse and it will catch all the off canvas objects

I hope that helps and that I properly understood your isssue 

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Tal, I agree with you. 

The last publishing program I used (Ready,Set,Go by Diwan) had workspace/desktop on top, bottom, left, and right around the page which was extremely useful.  I think that space should be white and usable as a storage area and space to move and work on items.

Could that space be white instead of black so the items placed there would be visible?

As an elementary teacher I used Ready,Set,Go for lesson plans. The printable page stored the plans for one week with links to text boxes for each subject in the "desktop" area surrounding the page. On Friday I deleted items taught in each subject and the next lessons filled right into the text boxes for the next week's plans.

I really do want workable space around the printable page!

Hello @BugsJane,

and welcome to the forum.

59 minutes ago, BugsJane said:

Could that space be white instead of black so the items placed there would be visible?

This is possible. Go to 'Edit > Preferences > User Interface'.
First make sure that 'UI Style is set to 'Light'.
Then drag the top most slider 'Background Grey Level' all the way to the right.
This should turn the space around the pages to white.

59 minutes ago, BugsJane said:

I really do want workable space around the printable page!

This, also, is available.

Make sure that 'View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas' has no check mark. Then you can place any object around the printable pages.

Note: each page or spread has it's own Canvas. There is no shared area for the whole (multi page) document.

You might also look into Assets.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/7/2019 at 7:20 AM, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Tal Wilkins.

From the Menu, View > View Mode and make sure Clip to Canvas is not checked.

Walt!

Thank you so much for this tip!
This view mode thing has been driving me crazy up till now.
My design life has just improved significantly. 😁
Thanks a lot.