I love the steps that Affinty Publisher is making in Beta. Although it is a tough learning curve, I enjoy it.

I have some questions that I can't figure out....looking for help....

1.) Is there a way to change defaults for text or colors? It is a cool feature to use the last text style used, but not always practical.

2.) How can I resize a pic that is on the page and keep the right proportions?

3.) How can I get layer effects t work on imported PDF's?

4.) Can I make a custom color pallette with only the swatches I want to use?

On 4/6/2019 at 3:17 PM, JPSports said:

Is there a way to change defaults for text or colors?

The best thing to do is to create and apply text styles.

You can also get most of the text properties to default to something by selecting an example and clicking the Synchronize defaults from selection button on the toolbar, but for some reason that doesn't seem to pick up text color.  Not sure if it is supposed to or not.

How can I resize a pic that is on the page and keep the right proportions?

Drag one of the corner handles, not the side handles.  Images maintain proportions by default.  If for some reason yours are not, try holding shift while dragging a handle.  Look at the help bar across the bottom of the window; it gives modifier keys based on what you are pointing to, the selected tool, etc.

Can I make a custom color pallette with only the swatches I want to use?

Yes.  In the hamburger menu for the Swatches panel, select Add Application Palette to add a palette that is stored on your computer, or Add Document Palette to add a palette that is stored as part of the document.  Global colors can only be created in a document palette.

3.) How can I get layer effects t work on imported PDF's?

When you Place a PDF you select 1 PDF page via the Context Menu to show on your Publisher page. In the Layers pane for that Publisher page you should see the new layer (that will show up as a linked or embedded document). Just click the fx button at the bottom of the Layers pane to apply layer effects to the PDF page.

If that's not enough, please provide more details of which effects you're trying to use, and some screenshots (and/or a sample .afpub file).

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.523 Beta

Hi, working with pics have a look to this (it is made by MEB/ staff, starts in some seconds):

1277700948_2019-01-2915_47_44.gif.0d5507be262cd8d218f8180ea9ae58e7.gif

AP 1.7.3 // AD 1.7.3 // APu 1.7.3: Capture One+ 12; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.13.1, early 2012 (ret), flsh 256 GB, RAM 16 GB; // Fuji X-Pro2, XF 18 - 55, XF 55 - 200 mm, nikkor 2.8/ 20 mm with shift