You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1987 Cinelli Laser Rivoluzione Pista (AD)

VectorVonDoom

If you know your bikes then this isn’t the first one that comes to mind when you think of the iconic Cinelli Laser but this is a much rarer Laser although there are more types than you perhaps think including a track tandem. I heard that only 5 were made and only 2 are known to have survived. One is in private hands and I’m guessing the other will be in the Cinelli museum. It seems that there is only one photo of this bike on the net. Although the largest version of it is a decent size it’s of poor quality as it’s a scan of a small’ish photo in an old Cinelli brochure. 

All in all this is made up from about a dozen different reference photos of the components mainly taken at different angles.

At first glance it looks quite simple but was actually a decent sized project and took far longer than I expected. It’s A0 I size. Ignore any interference on the wheels it only shows in the uploaded version.

Cinelli Laser Rivoluzione Pista 87.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

It did take quite a while. Each perforation is 2 objects, then the highlights and shadows on top. The Cinelli cork ribbon bar tape was as bad. I think that with something fairly simple like this you have to put even more effort in to things as anything slightly wrong is obvious. Whereas something complicated can often hide imperfections more.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

I doubt track bikes are known for their comfort. The lack of seat tube allows the wheel to come a lot further forward, so it's just a different way of doing it compared to the curved seat tubes.  It used Columus MS (multi shape) tubing designed by Gilco.

They did do a road version too but it's hard to know if it would have been any more comfy without seeing it built up

https://twitter.com/Asahi_Chang/status/572748169412386817/photo/1

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

5 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

I doubt track bikes aren't known for their comfort.

I don’t doubt track bikes aren’t known for their comfort, or I doubt track bikes are known for their comfort. Take your pick! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)